54th annual Christmas Daddies Telethon raises over $446,000
Published Saturday, December 2, 2017 6:29PM AST
Last Updated Saturday, December 2, 2017 7:29PM AST
It’s a CTV tradition that’s been helping Maritime children and families in need, dating back to 1964.
More than $446,000 was raised for the 54th annual Christmas Daddies Telethon on Saturday. Every year the telethon brings in thousands of dollars to support families across the region during the Christmas season.
CTV retiree, Jim Hill Junior says he remembers the first year for Christmas Daddies when his father – one of the founders – helped dozens of children.
“I can remember the first year we raised $1,500 in about seven hours and thought we did fantastic,” he says.
The show began when local television was black and white and shot on grainy film. Now, the telethon has grown to spread across the region to helping thousands of children.
“We help hundreds of thousands of children and that’s the reason I’m here,” says Hill.
CTV Atlantic anchor and executive producer Steve Murphy says he grew up watching the Christmas Daddies Telethon in his hometown of Saint John. Murphy says he jumped at the chance to get involved with the event when he moved to Halifax.
“It’s about all the kids who have special needs that we can address the first Saturday in December, the second, and pitching in, and the wonderful thing is it’s a tradition that started about 20 feet where we are standing right now,” he says.
Christmas Daddies includes four separate telethons: Halifax, Moncton, Prince Edward Island and Sydney. The annual event remains a regional program, but it’s been united into one seamless seven-hour broadcast.
Local choirs, single acts, band members, reporters and anchors shuffled into newsrooms to entertain in front of the camera. Ebenezer Scrooge and Santa Claus even joined in.
Trent McGrath, the vice-president and general manager of CTV Atlantic, says Christmas Daddies continues to change each year, but holds the same goal as it did in the beginning.
“I think it’s maybe a little bit about Christmas Daddies as really grass roots,” says McGrath. “It’s about neighbours helping neighbours and local businesses helping families in their communities.”
Mainland Nova Scotia co-ordinator and executive director for Christmas Daddies, Roxanne Robinson, says it’s an event she holds close to her heart.
“Funds raised go back to the community where they came from so for people who want to reach out and support their own community,” she says. “It’s just fabulous and that warms my heart and that’s what it’s all about.”
With files from CTV Atlantic’s Ron Shaw.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- Alabama voters face dramatic choice in Senate race and several counties are key
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand: Trump Twitter attack a 'sexist smear'
- New York subway blast suspect in Facebook post before detonating bomb: 'Trump, you failed to protect your nation'
- Keaton Jones' mother responds to racism allegations, says photos were meant to be 'ironic'
- Fox News host slams Roy Moore: ‘I hope the guy loses’
- Donovan McNabb, Eric Davis suspended by ESPN as it investigates harassment allegations
- Daredevil falls to death after taking selfie atop 62-story skyscraper in China
- Stellar 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' throws a few twists into the Skywalker space opera
- Donald Trump's tweet on Sen. Gillibrand 'disgusting,' Elizabeth Warren says
- San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee dies; 5 key contributions he made
- ‘One of our attorneys is a Jew’: Kayla Moore raises eyebrows at rally for Roy Moore
- The parade of Baked Alaska is back on Carnival cruise ships
- Lindsey Vonn on backlash to her Trump comments: Some 'hoping I break my neck'
- Attorney gives son $4 million birthday party
- 'Jaguar vs. crocodile': Two predators fight to the death
- James Corden and Co. bring Christmas to the 'Carpool Karaoke' lane
- NFL power rankings: Patriots fall from No. 1 spot after Week 14 defeat
- Net neutrality repeal means you're going to hate your cable company even more
- A food capital in each state
- Now's your chance to get All-Clad cookware at an incredible price
USA News Headlines
- California wildfires have destroyed 1,000 structures
- The wildfires by the numbers
- Woman who survived turns home into donation site for victims
- Skies turn orange as fires rage in California
- Firefighters weary after a week of wildfires
- Democrats face tough choice on DACA
- How to watch the Alabama special election results
- Moore's wife: 'One of our attorneys is a Jew'
- 56 congresswomen call for investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Trump
- Trump to send astronauts to the moon and Mars
- Google wants you to experiment with new photo apps
- America's malls are rotting away
- This company can build an apartment in two weeks
- Parents keeping bullied child from school out of fear
- Doug Jones working for conservative votes
- K9 helps find missing 7-year-old
- Dogs rescued from dog meat market
- Complete stranger donates house
- Deputy's K9 found dead
- Couple's car doors stolen overnight
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Skirball fire sparked by illegal cooking fire, California officials say
- 23-year-old Google employee found dead in San Francisco Bay
- NYC bombing suspect wrote on Facebook, 'Trump you failed to protect your nation'
- Student and driver die in school bus fire
- Mom of boy behind viral anti-bullying video speaks out after backlash
- Terror suspect rode subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan with bomb strapped to body
- Tennessee man arrested for having 5 pipe bombs in his home
- Huge California wildfire in Ventura, Santa Barbara counties has charred 231,700 acres
- Man dies after he's carjacked, run over by his own vehicle: Police
- Coldest air of season heading for Northeast midweek
- Judge warns Manafort: Gag order 'applies to you'
- Alleged serial killer pleads not guilty from jail
- NTSB blames captain, bad safety culture for loss of El Faro
- WATCH: Man dies after he's carjacked, run over by his own vehicle: Police
- WATCH: Google engineer found dead in San Francisco Bay
- WATCH: New Yorkers resume routines after tunnel terror attack: 'You can't stop living'
- WATCH: 10-year-old amputee gets snowboard lessons from Paralympian
- WATCH: Former homeland security secretary to terrorists: 'You will not win'
- WATCH: How to use Instagram to find deals this holiday season
- WATCH: Boy behind viral anti-bullying video says he's amazed by support
ABC News reporter suspended for ‘serious error’ on Flynn report
Jocelyn Noveck, The Associated Press Published Saturday, December 2, 2017 8:30PM EST Last Updated Saturday,Read More
Breakaway barge carrying millions of litres of fuel to be towed from B.C. to Alaska
BELLA BELLA, B.C. – A British Columbia First Nation is breathing a sigh of reliefRead More