Almonte residents angered by mayor’s decision not to lower flag for Humboldt
Many Almonte residents are upset after their mayor denied requests to lower the flag outside the Almonte Community Centre and Curling Rink in honour of the Humboldt Broncos.
Requests started streaming in to the municipal office on Wednesday after residents noticed none of the town’s flags had been lowered. When nothing changed, people took their outcry to social media.
“Because I am so involved in hockey, I just can’t believe someone wouldn’t put it down. I just find it hard to believe,” said Kevin McCartney, a hockey dad who lives nearby in Pakenham said.
By Friday morning, someone had lowered the flag outside the arena. It was back up to normal height hours later, only to go back to half-mast on Saturday.
The flagpole is easily accessible so residents believe someone in the community took it upon themselves to pay tribute to the Broncos.
“I’m embarrassed, but I’m happy people are getting it right. But it’s the people who are getting it right, not the government,” McCartney said.
Mississippi Mills Mayor Shaun McLaughlin cited a municipal policy for why the town’s flag could not be lowered. He said that tribute is reserved for sad events in the community and that the crash in Humboldt, through tragic, does not fit.
“None of the eight municipalities that make up Lanark County lowered their flags,” the mayor said. “Mississippi Mills is the only place where people chose to make an issue of it. We have a policy for lowering the flag. The Humboldt tragedy doesn’t fit. We all grieve for the families and community members of that Saskatchewan town.”
Jan Maydan, a community activist and Pakenham Ramsay & Almonte Taxpayers’ Advocacy Coalition (PRATAC) member said she can’t find that policy anywhere.
“I don’t think the policy exists,” she said. “We’ve asked for it.”
The mayor elaborated in a blog post on Friday saying “The flag policy – which the mayor cannot arbitrarily change – exists so that we have scope. If not, how would we know what calamities to respond to?,” he wrote. The day after the Saskatchewan catastrophe, 23 schoolchildren died in a bus crash in India. Should we lover the flag for them?”
Despite the cited policy, Maydan thinks the mayor should have lowered the flag anyway.
“People want it. People were asking for it. There was a huge outcry,” she said. “Who did it hurt? It didn’t hurt anyone to do it. Nobody will be phoning up complaining.”
As of Sunday afternoon, the flag outside the county office had also been lowered.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- 4 dead, others wounded in shooting at Tennessee Waffle House
- Trump adviser dodges question about the president's 'drunk/drugged up loser' tweet
- 10 hot vehicles most likely to increase in value, 'terrifying the neighbors'
- World's oldest person, last survivor of 19th century, dies in Japan at 117
- Mike Myers, other stars react to Verne Troyer's death
- President Trump was not at Barbara Bush's funeral - here's why
- Fighter Ricky Simon wins by TKO after final bell at UFC Fight Night 128
- What does it take to become a 401(k) millionaire?
- 5 new books you won't want to miss this week, including Joanna Gaines' cookbook
- Islamic State suicide bomber kills 57 in Afghan capital
- Anti-fascists protest neo-Nazi rally in Georgia, leading to 10 arrests but no injuries
- Car subscription services offer simple, flexible alternative to buying or leasing a car
- White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar in critical condition after brain hemorrhage in dugout
- Nick Saban overheard criticizing Jalen Hurts' decision to run, not pass, in spring game
- The funeral of Barbara Bush
- Mitt Romney must compete in Utah primary for U.S. Senate seat
- Keegan-Michael Key leads Penn State out of tunnel in hilarious impression of James Franklin
- Tech firms like Google, Amazon push power companies toward solar and wind, a blow to coal
- Norwegian Bliss, biggest Norwegian Cruise Line ship ever, begins maiden voyage
- On Earth Day, you shouldn't feel guilty about your plastic trash
USA News Headlines
- Southwest gives $5,000 checks to passengers on Flight 1380
- A lot of people wore their oxygen masks wrong during the emergency landing
- Firefighter who pulled victim back on plane: I 'felt a calling to help'
- Pilot: What happened on that Southwest flight
- Former Navy fighter pilot praised for her 'nerves of steel' during emergency
- Democrats file suit alleging Russia, Trump campaign, WikiLeaks conspired to interfere in 2016 campaign
- Getting to work could soon be a lot easier
- Getting fired was the best thing that happened to this billionaire
- How fruit juice got boxed out of the health craze
- New York City streets go car-free for Earth Day
- Administrators arrested in school 'fight club' case
- Explosives stolen from construction site found
- Tennessee man charged with murder, arson
- Good Samaritans save woman from fiery wreck
- Georgia city holds neo-Nazi rally
- DNR police urging boaters to be safe
- Murder conviction of Hiawatha Robinson upheld
- Threatening letters target school superintendent
- Baby boutique truck helps homeless kids
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson responds to student's promposal
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Naked gunman on the run after killing 4 people at a Waffle House near Nashville
- Man wearing 'MAGA' hat, Trump shirt attacks Hispanic subway rider: Police
- Police shooting of unarmed black man 'massively irresponsible and reckless': Attorney
- Barbara Bush remembered at funeral as 'the first lady of the greatest generation'
- Mother accidentally shoots, kills 2-year-old daughter: Police
- Man who shot 2 deputies in Florida was mystery to neighbors
- 'Mini-Me' actor in 'Austin Powers' movies dead at 49
- Isolated strong thunderstorms, flooding possible across Southeast
- Man killed in random knife attack at California steakhouse
- The Latest: Florida suspect fired gun from within restaurant
- WATCH: 4 dead, several injured in Waffle House shooting
- WATCH: Senate Foreign Relations Committee chair on North Korea, Pompeo nomination and more
- WATCH: Gunman opens fire at Waffle House outside Nashville
- WATCH: Surfer survives shark, bear attacks within months
- WATCH: Student asks most important lady in his life to prom
- WATCH: White Sox player in critical condition after suffering brain aneurysm
- WATCH: Nation says goodbye to first lady Barbara Bush
- WATCH: Thousands pay respect to Barbara Bush at her funeral in Houston
- WATCH: Manhunt in Georgia for convicted killer
- WATCH: Police cam shows officers circling the parking lot where teen died in his car
Mother of boy swept into Grand River says search has ‘finally come to an end’
Codi Wilson, CTV News Toronto Published Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:44AM EDT Last Updated Sunday,Read More
Leafs beat Bruins 4-3 as series hits Game 6
Joshua Clipperton, The Canadian Press Published Saturday, April 21, 2018 11:12PM EDT BOSTON — TylerRead More