Coroner’s report: Wrong injection killed toddler at Ste-Justine
Published Monday, April 16, 2018 6:10PM EDT
Last Updated Monday, April 16, 2018 8:01PM EDT
A 23-month-old boy being treated for cancer at Sainte-Justine Hospital died when a nurse gave him the wrong injection, according to a coroner’s report.
Ghali Chorfi (who was referred to by his mother’s last name El Amrani in previous reports) was given potassium instead of saline.
The boy was being treated for cancer and was supposed to receive a potassium injection followed by a saline injection to rinse out the vein. He was responding to treatment.
According to Dr. Jacques Ramsay’s report, he was given another potassium shot instead of saline, which caused him to immediately react and go into cardiac arrest.
The staff at the hospital then tried to resuscitate him. A blood test confirmed that he had dangerously high levels of potassium in his system. They then gave him treatment to reduce the potassium, but the boy died later that night.
Ramsay said weighing all the evidence, the only likely scenario was the nurse gave him the wrong shot, adding that this case falls into the realm of an accident and there is no suggestion of foul play.
Meanwhile the child’s mother Hadil El Amrani, who is currently in Morocco, said she was relieved to finally receive the coroner’s report, saying it backs up what happened on Dec. 10, 2016.
She said, though, that she is disappointed at the hospital’s response, claiming they haven’t taken responsibility for their actions or apologized to her and she is still pursuing legal action against them.
“I’m trying to fight for my son. I really don’t know what to do. I will be back to Montreal soon to see my lawyer, to have some news from the hospital, to have answers to my questions. I feel really, really bad. It takes too long – 16 months – to have answers,” said El Amrani.
Second child’s death at Ste-Justine Hospital
The coroner also released a report Monday into the death of Kaylynn Mianscum-Kelly who was also being treated at Ste-Justine Hospital.
The girl was just shy of three months old and had Down syndrome.
The coroner’s report found that she, too, had elevated levels of potassium in her system which had been added to a solution she required. This also caused a reaction that lead to hear death.
Again, the coroner says this was accidental, but avoidable.
Ste-Justine Hospital sent out a statement Monday in response to the report, saying the hospital took immediate action in the aftermath of these deaths.
It said The CHU Ste-Justine Hospital has already taken proactive measures to improve drug administration processes, adding “these deaths were tragic, and our hearts are with the families at this time.”
The hospital said it conducted its own investigation into the deaths and has rigorously examined and modified all of its procedures to ensure that this never happens again.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- 4 dead, others wounded in shooting at Tennessee Waffle House
- Trump adviser dodges question about the president's 'drunk/drugged up loser' tweet
- 10 hot vehicles most likely to increase in value, 'terrifying the neighbors'
- World's oldest person, last survivor of 19th century, dies in Japan at 117
- Mike Myers, other stars react to Verne Troyer's death
- President Trump was not at Barbara Bush's funeral - here's why
- Fighter Ricky Simon wins by TKO after final bell at UFC Fight Night 128
- What does it take to become a 401(k) millionaire?
- 5 new books you won't want to miss this week, including Joanna Gaines' cookbook
- Islamic State suicide bomber kills 57 in Afghan capital
- Anti-fascists protest neo-Nazi rally in Georgia, leading to 10 arrests but no injuries
- Car subscription services offer simple, flexible alternative to buying or leasing a car
- White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar in critical condition after brain hemorrhage in dugout
- Nick Saban overheard criticizing Jalen Hurts' decision to run, not pass, in spring game
- The funeral of Barbara Bush
- Mitt Romney must compete in Utah primary for U.S. Senate seat
- Keegan-Michael Key leads Penn State out of tunnel in hilarious impression of James Franklin
- Tech firms like Google, Amazon push power companies toward solar and wind, a blow to coal
- Norwegian Bliss, biggest Norwegian Cruise Line ship ever, begins maiden voyage
- On Earth Day, you shouldn't feel guilty about your plastic trash
USA News Headlines
- Southwest gives $5,000 checks to passengers on Flight 1380
- A lot of people wore their oxygen masks wrong during the emergency landing
- Firefighter who pulled victim back on plane: I 'felt a calling to help'
- Pilot: What happened on that Southwest flight
- Former Navy fighter pilot praised for her 'nerves of steel' during emergency
- Democrats file suit alleging Russia, Trump campaign, WikiLeaks conspired to interfere in 2016 campaign
- Getting to work could soon be a lot easier
- Getting fired was the best thing that happened to this billionaire
- How fruit juice got boxed out of the health craze
- New York City streets go car-free for Earth Day
- Administrators arrested in school 'fight club' case
- Explosives stolen from construction site found
- Tennessee man charged with murder, arson
- Good Samaritans save woman from fiery wreck
- Georgia city holds neo-Nazi rally
- DNR police urging boaters to be safe
- Murder conviction of Hiawatha Robinson upheld
- Threatening letters target school superintendent
- Baby boutique truck helps homeless kids
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson responds to student's promposal
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Naked gunman on the run after killing 4 people at a Waffle House near Nashville
- Man wearing 'MAGA' hat, Trump shirt attacks Hispanic subway rider: Police
- Police shooting of unarmed black man 'massively irresponsible and reckless': Attorney
- Barbara Bush remembered at funeral as 'the first lady of the greatest generation'
- Mother accidentally shoots, kills 2-year-old daughter: Police
- Man who shot 2 deputies in Florida was mystery to neighbors
- 'Mini-Me' actor in 'Austin Powers' movies dead at 49
- Isolated strong thunderstorms, flooding possible across Southeast
- Man killed in random knife attack at California steakhouse
- The Latest: Florida suspect fired gun from within restaurant
- WATCH: 4 dead, several injured in Waffle House shooting
- WATCH: Senate Foreign Relations Committee chair on North Korea, Pompeo nomination and more
- WATCH: Gunman opens fire at Waffle House outside Nashville
- WATCH: Surfer survives shark, bear attacks within months
- WATCH: Student asks most important lady in his life to prom
- WATCH: White Sox player in critical condition after suffering brain aneurysm
- WATCH: Nation says goodbye to first lady Barbara Bush
- WATCH: Thousands pay respect to Barbara Bush at her funeral in Houston
- WATCH: Manhunt in Georgia for convicted killer
- WATCH: Police cam shows officers circling the parking lot where teen died in his car
Mother of boy swept into Grand River says search has ‘finally come to an end’
Codi Wilson, CTV News Toronto Published Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:44AM EDT Last Updated Sunday,Read More
Leafs beat Bruins 4-3 as series hits Game 6
Joshua Clipperton, The Canadian Press Published Saturday, April 21, 2018 11:12PM EDT BOSTON — TylerRead More