Iconic Orillia landmark gets a fresh start
Phase one of the Sundial Lakeview Retirement Residence in Orillia had its official ribbon-cutting ceremony today.
According to its new owners, the opening was several years in the making.
“It’s been about a just a little over two and a half year journey from the purchase of the land, to the development, to the final completion,” says Yaseen Nimjee.
It’s a four-storey, spacious modern design with one hundred suites.
The residence is loaded with amenities like a theatre, game room, fitness centre and hair salon.
“We feel we wanted to break the mould a bit on what people come to expect from a retirement residence,” says Nimjee.
It’s a facility Orillia Mayor Steve Clarke says he’s happy to see built.
“Orillia was recently selected as the 33rd best place to live in all of Canada, but the third best place to retire behind Ottawa and Victoria. So, with that formula and what Orillia has to offer it’s a great place for facility like this,” says Mayor Clarke.
Long before this new development, the property was home to the iconic Sundial Inn.
The hotel closed in 2008, and in 2011, a fire destroyed what was left of the building.
Many people in the sunshine city say despite its demolition, they’ll never forget the Sundial Inn.
“It was swanky. I really had this vibe about it, it had this look, and it had this architecture that was popular in California in the 50’s and 60’s,” says Mark Fletcher, the former chair of the Orillia Museum of Art and History.
He remembers it as “the place to go in Orillia”.
The retirement residence will undergo a second phase of construction.
Plans to add suites adjacent to the existing structure are currently underway.
Construction crews are expected to break ground in the summer of 2018.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- 'Generation Columbine' has never known a world without school shootings
- Exclusive: Nearly half of parents worry their child is addicted to mobile devices
- Barack Obama to student activists: 'We've been waiting for you. And we've got your backs'
- NRA's Wayne LaPierre says gun control advocates 'hate individual freedom'
- Trump doubles down on support for arming teachers to prevent school shootings
- Oprah responds to Trump's '60 Minutes' tweet: 'I don't like giving negativity power'
- United pilot flies lost wedding ring over 2,500 miles to owner
- How an Indiana school protects against mass shootings as the 'safest school in America'
- Quincy Jones apologizes for 'silly' stuff he's said, blames age and 'wordvomit'
- At medal ceremony after loss to USA, Canada's Jocelyne Larocque yanks silver medal off her neck
- Why more TV shows are looking to God for relatable, religious-themed comedy
- Billy Graham's nephew isn't mourning his passing
- Women in film: Bad news overall with bright spots for women of color, annual study shows
- Apple's Airpods will get more Siri support, water resistance: report
- Jane Seymour poses for 'Playboy' at 67 and details sexual harassment in interview
- 'I hear you': People amazed at Trump's notes for school shooting listening session
- Doctors remove tumor so large it was 'like a head on top of another head'
- Mother's nightmare at Mexico resort: 'There is more to this deeper, darker story than we know'
- ‘We will not be silenced’: Parkland shooting survivors start a movement, a visual story
- The best Oscar dresses throughout history
USA News Headlines
- The storm hit. Then they moved... to all 50 states
- School cheers as power returns after 112 days
- Color brings hope to Puerto Rico
- The drive that shows how badly the island was hit
- Displaced families face FEMA deadline
- 8 numbers on guns that matter
- Rubio: I support raising age limit on rifles
- Congresswoman claims most mass shooters are Democrats
- Kushner-Kelly divide deepens over security clearance overhaul
- Melania Trump's parents' immigration status could be thanks to 'chain migration'
- Why tech secrets could cause clash between U.S. and China
- Early burst of spring aggravates allergy sufferers
- Connection between Rev. Billy Graham & Music City
- Opponents urge lawmakers to halt pot legalization
- Officials investigate after dead fish wash ashore
- Store uses facial recognition to stop shoplifters
- School walkouts protest school shooting
- Pulse massacre survivors visit Parkland students
- 'Trash Man of Brick' dedicated to litter
- Attorney charged for having sex with his dog
ABC NEWS Headlines
- School shooting suspect could lose public defender after reports of $800K inheritance
- Florida student mistaken for gunman: 'I knew any move I made' would end 'my life'
- Superintendent vows to suspend students who walk out to protest guns
- US Army's top engineer 'not satisfied' with Puerto Rico's post-Maria recovery
- Slain football coach ran 'toward danger' to save students in shooting: Sheriff
- FCC expected to repeal net neutrality rules on Thursday
- Attorney general in hot seat again after new Trump tweet
- California school shooting plot foiled, assault rifles found
- The distinctive profile of school shooters: 'Always a trail of what they're about to'
- Evangelist Billy Graham dies at 99
- 'Selfless' off-duty officer saved neighbor's life 'by giving his own'
- The Latest: Rev. Billy Graham to lie in honor at US Capitol
- 9-year-old in Tennessee writes letter to sheriff asking for more school security
- WATCH: Off-duty Maryland officer saved neighbor's life 'by giving his own' in shooting
- WATCH: Dad who survived son's murder plot that killed mom, brother wants his life spared
- WATCH: Can anonymous tip apps help stop potential school shootings?
- WATCH: 12-year-old YouTube gamer caught on camera as latest swatting victim
- WATCH: NBA players react to team's sexual misconduct allegations
- WATCH: Student activists react to Trump, Florida lawmakers on guns
- WATCH: Trump open to stronger gun background checks, arming teachers
New group home opens for disabled seniors in Yorkton
Yorkton residents are welcoming a new addition to the community in the form of aRead More
Flooding due to ice jam prompts state of emergency in Brantford, Ont.
Daksha Rangan, CTVNews.ca Published Wednesday, February 21, 2018 11:20AM EST Last Updated Wednesday, February 21,Read More