Iconic Orillia landmark gets a fresh start
Phase one of the Sundial Lakeview Retirement Residence in Orillia had its official ribbon-cutting ceremony today.
According to its new owners, the opening was several years in the making.
“It’s been about a just a little over two and a half year journey from the purchase of the land, to the development, to the final completion,” says Yaseen Nimjee.
It’s a four-storey, spacious modern design with one hundred suites.
The residence is loaded with amenities like a theatre, game room, fitness centre and hair salon.
“We feel we wanted to break the mould a bit on what people come to expect from a retirement residence,” says Nimjee.
It’s a facility Orillia Mayor Steve Clarke says he’s happy to see built.
“Orillia was recently selected as the 33rd best place to live in all of Canada, but the third best place to retire behind Ottawa and Victoria. So, with that formula and what Orillia has to offer it’s a great place for facility like this,” says Mayor Clarke.
Long before this new development, the property was home to the iconic Sundial Inn.
The hotel closed in 2008, and in 2011, a fire destroyed what was left of the building.
Many people in the sunshine city say despite its demolition, they’ll never forget the Sundial Inn.
“It was swanky. I really had this vibe about it, it had this look, and it had this architecture that was popular in California in the 50’s and 60’s,” says Mark Fletcher, the former chair of the Orillia Museum of Art and History.
He remembers it as “the place to go in Orillia”.
The retirement residence will undergo a second phase of construction.
Plans to add suites adjacent to the existing structure are currently underway.
Construction crews are expected to break ground in the summer of 2018.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- Alabama voters face dramatic choice in Senate race and several counties are key
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand: Trump Twitter attack a 'sexist smear'
- New York subway blast suspect in Facebook post before detonating bomb: 'Trump, you failed to protect your nation'
- Keaton Jones' mother responds to racism allegations, says photos were meant to be 'ironic'
- Fox News host slams Roy Moore: ‘I hope the guy loses’
- Donovan McNabb, Eric Davis suspended by ESPN as it investigates harassment allegations
- Daredevil falls to death after taking selfie atop 62-story skyscraper in China
- Stellar 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' throws a few twists into the Skywalker space opera
- Donald Trump's tweet on Sen. Gillibrand 'disgusting,' Elizabeth Warren says
- San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee dies; 5 key contributions he made
- ‘One of our attorneys is a Jew’: Kayla Moore raises eyebrows at rally for Roy Moore
- The parade of Baked Alaska is back on Carnival cruise ships
- Lindsey Vonn on backlash to her Trump comments: Some 'hoping I break my neck'
- Attorney gives son $4 million birthday party
- 'Jaguar vs. crocodile': Two predators fight to the death
- James Corden and Co. bring Christmas to the 'Carpool Karaoke' lane
- NFL power rankings: Patriots fall from No. 1 spot after Week 14 defeat
- Net neutrality repeal means you're going to hate your cable company even more
- A food capital in each state
- Now's your chance to get All-Clad cookware at an incredible price
USA News Headlines
- California wildfires have destroyed 1,000 structures
- The wildfires by the numbers
- Woman who survived turns home into donation site for victims
- Skies turn orange as fires rage in California
- Firefighters weary after a week of wildfires
- Democrats face tough choice on DACA
- What happens if Moore wins Senate seat
- How to watch the Alabama special election results
- 56 congresswomen call for investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Trump
- Trump to send astronauts to the moon and Mars
- Google wants you to experiment with new photo apps
- America's malls are rotting away
- This company can build an apartment in two weeks
- Parents keeping bullied child from school out of fear
- Doug Jones working for conservative votes
- K9 helps find missing 7-year-old
- Dogs rescued from dog meat market
- Complete stranger donates house
- Deputy's K9 found dead
- Couple's car doors stolen overnight
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Skirball fire sparked by illegal cooking fire, California officials say
- 23-year-old Google employee found dead in San Francisco Bay
- Mom of boy behind viral anti-bullying video speaks out after backlash
- Student and driver die in school bus fire
- NYC bombing suspect wrote on Facebook, 'Trump you failed to protect your nation'
- El Faro captain partly responsible for ship's sinking: NTSB
- Terror suspect rode subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan with bomb strapped to body
- Tennessee man arrested for having 5 pipe bombs in his home
- Alleged serial killer pleads not guilty from jail
- Huge California wildfire in Ventura, Santa Barbara counties has charred 231,700 acres
- NTSB blames captain, bad safety culture for loss of El Faro
- 'Tech support' scams hit millennials hardest and many don't even realize it
- Man dies after he's carjacked, run over by his own vehicle: Police
- WATCH: Man dies after he's carjacked, run over by his own vehicle: Police
- WATCH: Google engineer found dead in San Francisco Bay
- WATCH: New Yorkers resume routines after tunnel terror attack: 'You can't stop living'
- WATCH: 10-year-old amputee gets snowboard lessons from Paralympian
- WATCH: Former homeland security secretary to terrorists: 'You will not win'
- WATCH: How to use Instagram to find deals this holiday season
- WATCH: Boy behind viral anti-bullying video says he's amazed by support
ABC News reporter suspended for ‘serious error’ on Flynn report
Jocelyn Noveck, The Associated Press Published Saturday, December 2, 2017 8:30PM EST Last Updated Saturday,Read More
Breakaway barge carrying millions of litres of fuel to be towed from B.C. to Alaska
BELLA BELLA, B.C. – A British Columbia First Nation is breathing a sigh of reliefRead More