Influenza virus claims first Edmonton patient in 2017, cases triple since last year
This year’s influenza virus has claimed its first patient in Edmonton, according to Alberta Health Services.
Edmonton has seen 167 cases of influenza in 2017. Alberta as a whole has had 1,147 – a large increase compared to 2016’s 374.
An infectious disease specialist says this year’s vaccine is not getting the job done.
“They did observe in Australia that the vaccine didn’t work very well,” Dr. Neil Rau said. “It protected only 10 per cent of people and that’s even worse than the usual rate of protection, which is usually 40 to 50 per cent in a good year.”
There have been five deaths in total across the province – four more than last year.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- Alabama voters face dramatic choice in Senate race and several counties are key
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand: Trump Twitter attack a 'sexist smear'
- New York subway blast suspect in Facebook post before detonating bomb: 'Trump, you failed to protect your nation'
- Keaton Jones' mother responds to racism allegations, says photos were meant to be 'ironic'
- Fox News host slams Roy Moore: ‘I hope the guy loses’
- Donovan McNabb, Eric Davis suspended by ESPN as it investigates harassment allegations
- Daredevil falls to death after taking selfie atop 62-story skyscraper in China
- Stellar 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' throws a few twists into the Skywalker space opera
- Donald Trump's tweet on Sen. Gillibrand 'disgusting,' Elizabeth Warren says
- San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee dies; 5 key contributions he made
- ‘One of our attorneys is a Jew’: Kayla Moore raises eyebrows at rally for Roy Moore
- The parade of Baked Alaska is back on Carnival cruise ships
- Lindsey Vonn on backlash to her Trump comments: Some 'hoping I break my neck'
- Attorney gives son $4 million birthday party
- 'Jaguar vs. crocodile': Two predators fight to the death
- James Corden and Co. bring Christmas to the 'Carpool Karaoke' lane
- NFL power rankings: Patriots fall from No. 1 spot after Week 14 defeat
- Net neutrality repeal means you're going to hate your cable company even more
- A food capital in each state
- Now's your chance to get All-Clad cookware at an incredible price
USA News Headlines
- California wildfires have destroyed 1,000 structures
- The wildfires by the numbers
- Woman who survived turns home into donation site for victims
- Skies turn orange as fires rage in California
- Firefighters weary after a week of wildfires
- Democrats face tough choice on DACA
- How to watch the Alabama special election results
- Moore's wife: 'One of our attorneys is a Jew'
- 56 congresswomen call for investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Trump
- Trump to send astronauts to the moon and Mars
- Google wants you to experiment with new photo apps
- America's malls are rotting away
- This company can build an apartment in two weeks
- Man hopes to save lives, hikes 222 miles for suicide awareness
- Buying an Amazon tablet as a gift? Don't do this!
- Complete stranger donates house to firefighter
- Deputy's K9 found dead
- Mega Millions, Powerball jackpots total $420M
- Man shot by police after crash
- Couple's car doors stolen overnight
ABC NEWS Headlines
- NYC bombing suspect wrote on Facebook, 'Trump you failed to protect your nation'
- Mom of boy behind viral anti-bullying video speaks out after backlash
- Student and driver die in school bus fire
- Terror suspect rode subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan with bomb strapped to body
- Huge California wildfire in Ventura, Santa Barbara counties has charred 231,700 acres
- Alleged serial killer pleads not guilty from jail
- Coldest air of season heading for Northeast midweek
- How gun laws have changed since Sandy Hook
- Man dies after he's carjacked, run over by his own vehicle: Police
- Judge warns Manafort: Gag order 'applies to you'
- 'Tech support' scams hit millennials hardest and many don't even realize it
- 23-year-old Google employee found dead in San Francisco Bay
- NTSB cites weak safety culture by owner of sunken El Faro
- WATCH: Man dies after he's carjacked, run over by his own vehicle: Police
- WATCH: Google engineer found dead in San Francisco Bay
- WATCH: New Yorkers resume routines after tunnel terror attack: 'You can't stop living'
- WATCH: 10-year-old amputee gets snowboard lessons from Paralympian
- WATCH: Former homeland security secretary to terrorists: 'You will not win'
- WATCH: How to use Instagram to find deals this holiday season
- WATCH: Boy behind viral anti-bullying video says he's amazed by support
ABC News reporter suspended for ‘serious error’ on Flynn report
Jocelyn Noveck, The Associated Press Published Saturday, December 2, 2017 8:30PM EST Last Updated Saturday,Read More
Breakaway barge carrying millions of litres of fuel to be towed from B.C. to Alaska
BELLA BELLA, B.C. – A British Columbia First Nation is breathing a sigh of reliefRead More