Leafs’ Auston Matthews says he’s feeling better, but no timetable for return
Joshua Clipperton, The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:15PM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:10PM EDT
TORONTO — Maple Leafs centre Auston Matthews is inching closer to a return to the Toronto lineup. When that will be remains anyone’s guess.
The 20-year-old took part in his second straight full practice Tuesday, but continued to wear a red non-contact jersey.
Matthews has been on the shelf since injuring his shoulder after getting sandwiched between two Islanders late in Toronto’s 4-3 shootout victory over New York at Air Canada Centre on Feb. 22.
Matthews, who had been skating on his own before briefly joining teammates for a couple of on-ice sessions last week, said he doesn’t have a timeline for a return.
“It’s been a process, I guess,” Matthews said in his first comments since the injury. “Sometimes it’s just the way it goes. You just do your best to get back and feel better and stay in shape.
“I’m feeling fine, getting better. Felt better every day. It’s nice to get on the ice with the guys and take reps in that kind of circumstance instead of just skating by yourself so you get your timing back, which is a big key in returning to play.”
Toronto struggled to a 1-2-2 record without Matthews before picking up a 5-2 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday night. He also missed four games in November with a back problem before sitting out six more in December because of what was believed to be a concussion.
“It’s obviously frustrating, no question about that,” Matthews said of having to sit and watch. “Stuff happens, everything happens for a reason. You just kind of stick with it and do your best to get back, get healthy.
“I’ve been doing a good job of staying in shape with my conditioning and working with the trainers as far as rehab goes.”
Matthews said he suffered a similar injury to his shoulder “a long time ago,” adding it was just bad luck to get caught between two opponents.
“Tough to brace yourself from both sides there,” he said. “It was just kind of a fluky play. Unfortunate, but it happens.”
The Maple Leafs open a stretch of three games in four nights Wednesday at home against Dallas before visiting Buffalo on Thursday and hosting Montreal on Saturday.
Matthews won’t suit up for the Dallas game, and with the team unlikely to practise until after the matchup with Montreal, next week could be the earliest he sees action.
“Obviously he’s coming every day, I could just tell by the amount of physical contact he was in (Tuesday) versus (Monday),” Leafs head coach Mike Babcock said. “He’s going in the right direction, feeling good.
“He’ll be over-ready before he gets in.”
Despite missing 16 games this season, Matthews still leads Toronto in goals with 28 and sits tied for second in points with 50.
With the Leafs almost assured of finishing third in the Atlantic Division, there’s some thought Matthews will benefit from his time out of the lineup when the playoffs begin next month.
Just don’t count him among that group.
“I don’t really buy into that notion,” Matthews said. “I’d rather play.”
Notes: The Leafs recalled forward Andreas Johnsson from the AHL, while defenceman Calle Rosen was also brought up on an emergency basis with Nikita Zaitsev still out with the flu after missing Saturday’s game. Fellow defenceman Travis Dermott also skipped Tuesday’s practice because of an illness. … Expected to make his NHL debut Wednesday, Johnsson has 26 goals and 28 assists in 54 games with the Toronto Marlies this season.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- 'We're here and coming to make a change': Students pour into D.C. for March for Our Lives rally
- 'Half my family is gone': Mom mourns Iowa family found dead at Mexico resort
- French police officer who swapped places with hostage during attack dies, official says
- 'Chicago Fire' mourns the death of star DuShon Monique Brown
- Most transgender troops to be banned under new Pentagon policy
- Victim of self-driving Uber accident could be to blame, expert says
- March for Our Lives, Elite Eight, Stormy Daniels on '60 Minutes': 5 things to know this weekend
- Kansas waterpark operators indicted on criminal charges in child's death
- Report: Ex-Kings DeMarcus Cousins, Matt Barnes offer to pay for Stephon Clark funeral
- Weekend project - delete those Facebook apps now
- USS Indianapolis historians resolve mystery of how many men died in 1945 attack
- Guns killed 3 of my Harvard classmates. After the March For Our Lives, let's fix this.
- Pennsylvania school district: Intruders 'will be stoned' by students armed with rocks
- First look: Inside Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas, world's largest cruise ship
- Here's why you'll see evil eye gloves at the March for Our Lives
- NCAA tournament: Duke finds way past Syracuse in tense Sweet 16 matchup of ACC rivals
- 'She sheds' are like a man cave -- but prettier
- Michael Bennett indicted for injuring elderly paraplegic at Super Bowl LI
- Trump blames Obama for legalizing bump stocks in a tweet. Is he right?
- March for Our Lives: Taylor Swift donates 'to show my support for the students'
USA News Headlines
- Sacramento protesters: 'Cells up, don't shoot'
- Cops fatally shoot man in his grandmother's backyard
- Brother: Stephon Clark was turning his life around
- Protesters block NBA arena over fatal Sacramento police shooting
- Analysis: The Trump era has been very good to Iraq War hawks
- McCabe denies 'lack of candor' in op-ed
- Khizr Khan makes personal appeal to Supreme Court on travel ban
- DiGenova role on President's legal team in flux
- Picking Bolton signals a more hawkish turn
- Flying taxi takes to the skies in New Zealand
- She built a $2M company while raising 14 kids
- Facebook has gotten too big for Zuckerberg
- Local fundraiser for NRA causes controversy
- Man tells son to fight another boy, shoves teen
- Mumps vaccine less effective years later
- Lawmakers looking to impeach justices over map
- Man injured, arrested in police-involved shooting
- Students get school on weekends for snow days
- Police arrest mom after video of baby smoking pot
- Tourists revel in Big Apple during snowstorm
ABC NEWS Headlines
- American family who died in Mexico 'went to sleep and never woke up,' cousin says
- Parkland survivor says March for Our Lives will 'start a revolution'
- New England Patriots lend team plane to Parkland students for March for Our Lives
- Water park, ex-employee charged in 10-year-old's 2016 death on ride
- Fight between elite Army soldiers leaves 1 dead
- Sympathy for white Austin bomber stirs debate about race
- Suspect arrested in burglary of Patriots star Rob Gronkowski's house
- Everything you need to know about March for Our Lives
- 16-year-old Maryland school shooting victim dies after being taken off life support
- Heavy snow likely for Northern Plains, Midwest
- School shooting victim 'brain dead,' life support ending
- Students armed with stones in 'last-ditch' plan to ward off school shooters
- Atlanta cyberattack a 'massive inconvenience' to city, mayor says
- WATCH: Former water park executive charged with involuntary manslaughter
- WATCH: Protests in Sacramento continue after an unarmed man is killed by police
- WATCH: Thousands head to Washington for the 'March for Life' protests
- WATCH: Student activist talks gun control and 'March for Our Lives' rally
- WATCH: Couple in so-called 'Gone Girl' case convinced more suspects still out there: Part 6
- WATCH: California city to settle with couple in so-called 'Gone Girl' case: Part 5
- WATCH: Man who kidnapped woman in so-called 'Gone Girl' case finally caught: Part 4
Vehicles rammed in confrontation at Samborski Environmental
RCMP say two bylaw vehicles being rammed by a front end loader led to aRead More
Suspect in attack on man with autism arrested in Windsor
A 21-year-old man wanted on a Canada-wide arrest warrant for allegedly assaulting a man withRead More