No criminal charges against man who waved Nazi flag in Montreal: police
Montreal police say there won’t be any criminal charges laid against a man who waved a Nazi flag from atop a condo building during a May Day protest earlier this month.
The man was photographed holding the flag on the roof of a condo building on Hutchison Street in the city’s Park Extension neighbourhood on May 2 as demonstrators walked below. Police were notified after the image was posted on the Facebook page of a neighbourhood group called the Parc-Ex Action Squad.
The Montreal police’s hate crimes division investigated the incident, but said there won’t be any charges against the man holding the flag.
“Having a flag by itself, that’s not criminal,” Insp. Ian Lafreniere told CTV Montreal on Tuesday. “But if you’re using this in a different context, for example, to provoke or to cause a commotion, it could be different laws that apply to that.”
Bernie Farber, chair of the Canadian Anti-Hate Network, said he believes the man was trying to send a message with the flag.
“I would say it’s a provocation,” he said.
Farber also said residents in the city are frustrated that police appear to be slow to arrest people who spread hate.
“In other provinces, we know for example, that there have been hate charges that have been laid in various accounts over many years. We have just not seen the same in Montreal,” he said.
In Canada, there aren’t any laws that restrict the ownership or display of Nazi flags; however, hate laws do allow police to intervene if they’re used in the communication of hatred.
With a report from CTV Montreal’s Rob Lurie and The Canadian Press
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- School resource officer John Barnes, others: Heroes emerge in Texas school shooting
- Harry and Meghan's wedding reception: See her new dress, and that Jaguar
- Mountain lion kills one man, seriously injures another east of Seattle
- Mother of Texas school shooting survivor says gunman killed students as they hid in closet
- 30 minutes of terror in first-period art class: How the Texas high school shooting unfolded
- Cowboys receiver Terrance Williams arrested after car accident
- How Prince Harry and Meghan Markle honored Princess Diana at their wedding
- How much should you pay a babysitter? It depends on where you live
- Justify wins muddy Preakness, heads to Belmont as Triple Crown contender
- Justify's Preakness win raises more questions heading into Belmont
- Helicopter airlifts trapped residents as lava from Hawaii volcano speeds up, air quality diminishes
- Lyft driver in Indianapolis orders gay couple out of his car after they kiss
- Did (possibly pregnant) Pippa Middleton steal the show at another royal wedding?
- Scenes from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's royal wedding
- Boss, 56, has sex with drunk teenage employee, gets 6 years in prison
- 'Beautiful' or 'boring'? Meghan Markle's Givenchy wedding dress divides social media
- Careful what you say in this university, its speech policies are those of Soviet Russia
- Still friends! Prince Harry's ex-girlfriends Chelsy Davy, Cressida Bonas attend wedding
- Duchess Kate recycles coat for fourth time at Harry and Meghan's royal wedding
- J.J. Watt willing to pay funeral expenses for Santa Fe High School shooting victims
USA News Headlines
- 'All that was going through my head was get out'
- Texas official blames shooting on too many exits and entrances
- These are the victims of the shooting
- Suspect tells investigator he spared people he liked
- Student who was shot in head speaks out
- Opinion: Something was different about this
- Trump really wants the (North Korean) show to go on
- Mueller has a lot of options besides indicting Trump. Here they are
- Air Force apologizes for 'Yanny' or 'Laurel' tweet
- Cuomo presses Giuliani on informants claim
- Trump administration to bar abortions at facilities receiving federal family funds
- Richard Branson considers this one of his biggest mistakes
- 'China's SpaceX' launches first private rocket
- The drones that fly 24/7, no humans needed
- Help me! Raccoon rescued from storm drain
- Teen fighting for the rights of gun owners
- Woman trapped by mud has died
- Teacher finds 6-year-old chewing on bag of cocaine
- Man lives his last days on Mississippi River
- Hardware employees save woman's life
ABC NEWS Headlines
- The Latest: Wounded student attends school baseball game
- Community mourns the 10 victims killed as authorities probe motive behind massacre
- Airline passenger punches deaf pregnant woman, service dog: Police
- What we know about the Texas school shooting suspect
- Doctor who slipped abortion drug into girlfriend's tea sentenced to 3 years in prison
- Wife of man charged in blast probe died in 'mysterious case'
- Investigators use genetic genealogy to arrest suspect in cold case of 1987 murders
- 10 dead, 10 wounded in shooting at Texas high school, explosives found on campus
- Teacher's aide among 10 victims killed in Texas high school shooting
- 1 dead, 1 injured in shooting after high school graduation
- Students storm high school with water guns, fireworks in fake shooting prank
- Kentucky Derby winner Justify wins Preakness
- 'A face of rage': Freshman describes staring down suspect as he fired
- WATCH: Workers left dangling after scaffold collapse in Atlanta
- WATCH: The moments from the Royal wedding
- WATCH: Explosion rocking a chemical plant near Houston
- WATCH: Alleged Santa Fe HS shooter charged with capital murder
- WATCH: New eruption from the summit of Kilauea puts dozens more homes in danger
- WATCH: Students wipe away tears as they returning to Santa Fe high school
- WATCH: What we know about the Sante Fe High School alleged shooter
Kovac and Frankfurt stun Bayern 3-1 to win German Cup final
By Ciaran Fahey, The Associated Press Published Saturday, May 19, 2018 8:19PM EDT BERLIN —Read More
‘Shoplifters’ wins Palme d’Or at Cannes
Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda’s “Shoplifters” is the winner of the Palme d’Or award at theRead More