Oakland hits three homers in 10-5 win over Toronto
TORONTO – Khris Davis hit one of Oakland’s three home runs and reached base five times in all as the Athletics dumped the Toronto Blue Jays 10-5 on Thursday at Rogers Centre.
Davis belted his team-leading 13th homer of the season in Oakland’s three-run third inning. He finished with four hits on the night and was also hit by a pitch.
Matt Olson hit a three-run shot in the fifth inning and Matt Chapman put the game away with a two-run blast in the sixth. The Athletics outhit the Blue Jays 14-7.
Aaron Sanchez (2-4) took the loss in the opener of the four-game series. The result left Oakland and Toronto with identical .500 records at 22-22.
Reliever Yusmeiro Petit (1-0) worked 2 2/3 innings for the victory as the Athletics improved to 4-3 on their 10-game road trip.
Sanchez did well to escape a bases-loaded jam in the first inning. He gave up a single and walked the bases loaded before fanning Chapman with his 29th pitch of the frame.
Toronto scratched out a run in the second off Oakland starter Andrew Triggs. Kevin Pillar led off with a double, moved to third on a Russell Martin sacrifice fly and scored when Kendrys Morales hit into a fielder’s choice.
Sanchez gave up three straight hits in the third – a single to Matt Joyce, RBI double to Jed Lowrie and the Davis blast – as the A’s pulled ahead for a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.
Triggs took himself out of the game later in the inning due to “forearm nerve discomfort” in his throwing arm.
Sanchez was pulled in the fifth after issuing a leadoff walk. He struck out eight and gave up four walks, five hits and four earned runs.
Seunghwan Oh came on in relief but gave up three earned runs over two-thirds of an inning. His earned-run average nearly doubled to 2.79.
The Blue Jays got back into the game with three runs in the bottom of the fifth.
Justin Smoak’s RBI double was followed by an RBI single from Yangervis Solarte. Smoak came home on a sacrifice fly by Pillar, helped in part by a throwing error from Olson.
In the eighth, Curtis Granderson drew a bases-loaded walk to bring Josh Donaldson to the plate with the potential tying run. But reliever Lou Trivino got the Toronto slugger to ground out to end the inning.
Announced attendance was 22,893 and the game took three hours 34 minutes to play.
Oakland placed Bruce Maxwell on the restricted list for the series and recalled fellow catcher Josh Phegley from triple-A Nashville. Maxwell can’t enter Canada while awaiting sentencing in Arizona on a gun-related charge.
Notes: Canadian skier Manuel Osborne-Paradis threw the ceremonial first pitch. … The retractable roof was open for the second time this year. It was sunny and 19 C at game time. … Outfielder Teoscar Hernandez sat out with back tightness. Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said Hernandez is day to day. … Right-hander Marco Estrada (2-3, 5.32 ERA) is scheduled to start Friday against Oakland southpaw Brett Anderson (0-2, 8.16).
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- Texas school shooting: Gunman targeted my daughter because she rejected him, grieving mom says
- Mother of Texas school shooting survivor says gunman killed students as they hid in closet
- This new smartphone feature should be used by every driver, from teen to seasoned commuter
- Harry and Meghan's wedding reception: See her new dress, and that Jaguar
- Did (possibly pregnant) Pippa Middleton steal the show at another royal wedding?
- 'Saturday Night Live' imagines Bishop Michael Curry's response to the royal wedding
- Russia investigations could affect midterm congressional elections, experts say
- Mountain lion kills one man, injures another east of Seattle
- Texas shooting suspect won’t face death penalty, could be paroled
- Tina Fey's 'Saturday Night Live' monologue was crashed with star-studded cameos
- LeBron James carves up Celtics in Game 3 with passes 'only one person' would even try
- Fantasy baseball waiver wire: Nationals surprisingly promote phenom Juan Soto
- Pope Francis to create 14 new cardinals in June
- Tampa Bay Rays' Sergio Romo gets first career start, makes history against Angels
- Scenes from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's royal wedding
- Why rising gas prices won't last, even after Trump ends Iran nuclear deal
- Justify's Preakness win raises more questions heading into Belmont
- Democrats ramp up efforts to turn more red seats blue in the South in the wake of recent successes
- Still friends! Prince Harry's ex-girlfriends Chelsy Davy, Cressida Bonas attend wedding
- Bishop Michael Curry quotes MLK, Jr. at royal wedding
USA News Headlines
- 'All that was going through my head was get out'
- Texas official blames shooting on too many exits and entrances
- These are the victims of the shooting
- Suspect tells investigator he spared people he liked
- Student who was shot in head speaks out
- Opinion: Something was different about this
- Trump really wants the (North Korean) show to go on
- Mueller has a lot of options besides indicting Trump. Here they are
- Air Force apologizes for 'Yanny' or 'Laurel' tweet
- Cuomo presses Giuliani on informants claim
- Trump administration to bar abortions at facilities receiving federal family funds
- Richard Branson considers this one of his biggest mistakes
- 'China's SpaceX' launches first private rocket
- The drones that fly 24/7, no humans needed
- Help me! Raccoon rescued from storm drain
- Teen fighting for the rights of gun owners
- Woman trapped by mud has died
- Teacher finds 6-year-old chewing on bag of cocaine
- Man lives his last days on Mississippi River
- Hardware employees save woman's life
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Santa Fe shooting victim's mother says daughter turned down suspect's advances
- Cougar kills mountain biker, injures fellow rider
- Increasing lava flow prompts new evacuations, first injury since eruption
- Wife of man charged in blast probe died in 'mysterious case'
- Over 2 dozen people rushed to hospital after bad reaction to synthetic weed
- Community mourns the 10 victims killed as authorities probe motive behind massacre
- Stormy weather moves into Midwest as East dries out
- Teacher's aide among 10 victims killed in Texas high school shooting
- The Latest: Wounded student attends school baseball game
- WATCH: Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on Santa Fe High School mass shooting
- WATCH: Parents who lost children in school shootings respond to tragedy in Texas
- WATCH: 1 person killed, 1 injured in mountain lion attack in Washington state
- WATCH: New details emerge on how the Texas school shooting was carried out
- WATCH: Workers left dangling after scaffold collapse in Atlanta
- WATCH: The moments from the Royal wedding
- WATCH: Explosion rocking a chemical plant near Houston
- WATCH: Alleged Santa Fe HS shooter charged with capital murder
- WATCH: New eruption from the summit of Kilauea puts dozens more homes in danger
- WATCH: Students wipe away tears as they return to Santa Fe High School
- WATCH: What we know about the Sante Fe High School alleged shooter
24-year-old suspect in custody after shooting in Brockville apartment
Brockville Police say a 24-year-old man is facing several gun-related charges after a shooting atRead More
U.S. criticizes China’s militarization of disputed waters
BEIJING — The Pentagon criticized what it called China’s “continued militarization” of island outposts inRead More