Painting newly attributed to Rembrandt on display in Amsterdam
AMSTERDAM — A painting newly attributed to Dutch Golden Age master Rembrandt van Rijn went on display Wednesday in an Amsterdam museum.
The Hermitage Amsterdam museum called it the first unknown Rembrandt to surface in 44 years.
The unsigned, undated 17th-century portrait of a young man resplendent in a black cape and white lace ruff, at the time attributed to an unknown member of Rembrandt’s circle, caught the eye of Amsterdam art dealer Jan Six when an auction catalogue plopped onto his gallery’s doormat in 2016.
“It’s that sort of blink-of-an-eye feeling that I thought ‘this is better than what they think,”‘ he said Wednesday.
Six jumped on a plane to London to look at the painting, compared it with another Rembrandt portrait hanging in the city’s National Gallery and bought it for what now looks like a modest 140,000 pounds ($189,000 US).
Six knows a thing or two about Rembrandt — one of his wealthy ancestors was painted by the master in the 17th century — so he knew what to look for in the painting. In this case, a tiny part of the young man’s ruff caught his eye as he studied the painting in detail.
“There’s one fantastic flap of lace and there’s one curved edge and it’s so fantastic — it’s such a depiction of space — that you really want to put your finger on it,” Six said. “And the ability to get there to that end result, in my view and in many other experts’ views, only Rembrandt ever reached that level.”
After buying the work, he brought it home and then spent months analyzing it and consulting with a dozen experts who have now agreed with his view that it is a previously unknown work by Rembrandt.
Writing in a book about the discovery, renowned Rembrandt expert Ernst van de Wetering adds his voice to curators and historians who attribute to the painting to the Dutch master, saying that not only is it a Rembrandt, but it is a “very high quality” work.
The painting is on show for a month at the Hermitage Amsterdam starting Wednesday. Six took a selfie with his find after workers put it in a frame and hung it on a wall.
Six, who plans to sell the painting, will not speculate on what it is now worth.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- Texas school shooting: Gunman targeted my daughter because she rejected him, grieving mom says
- Mother of Texas school shooting survivor says gunman killed students as they hid in closet
- This new smartphone feature should be used by every driver, from teen to seasoned commuter
- Harry and Meghan's wedding reception: See her new dress, and that Jaguar
- Did (possibly pregnant) Pippa Middleton steal the show at another royal wedding?
- 'Saturday Night Live' imagines Bishop Michael Curry's response to the royal wedding
- Russia investigations could affect midterm congressional elections, experts say
- Mountain lion kills one man, injures another east of Seattle
- Texas shooting suspect won’t face death penalty, could be paroled
- Tina Fey's 'Saturday Night Live' monologue was crashed with star-studded cameos
- LeBron James carves up Celtics in Game 3 with passes 'only one person' would even try
- Fantasy baseball waiver wire: Nationals surprisingly promote phenom Juan Soto
- Pope Francis to create 14 new cardinals in June
- Tampa Bay Rays' Sergio Romo gets first career start, makes history against Angels
- Scenes from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's royal wedding
- Why rising gas prices won't last, even after Trump ends Iran nuclear deal
- Justify's Preakness win raises more questions heading into Belmont
- Democrats ramp up efforts to turn more red seats blue in the South in the wake of recent successes
- Still friends! Prince Harry's ex-girlfriends Chelsy Davy, Cressida Bonas attend wedding
- Bishop Michael Curry quotes MLK, Jr. at royal wedding
USA News Headlines
- 'All that was going through my head was get out'
- Texas official blames shooting on too many exits and entrances
- These are the victims of the shooting
- Suspect tells investigator he spared people he liked
- Student who was shot in head speaks out
- Opinion: Something was different about this
- Trump really wants the (North Korean) show to go on
- Mueller has a lot of options besides indicting Trump. Here they are
- Air Force apologizes for 'Yanny' or 'Laurel' tweet
- Cuomo presses Giuliani on informants claim
- Trump administration to bar abortions at facilities receiving federal family funds
- Richard Branson considers this one of his biggest mistakes
- 'China's SpaceX' launches first private rocket
- The drones that fly 24/7, no humans needed
- Help me! Raccoon rescued from storm drain
- Teen fighting for the rights of gun owners
- Woman trapped by mud has died
- Teacher finds 6-year-old chewing on bag of cocaine
- Man lives his last days on Mississippi River
- Hardware employees save woman's life
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Santa Fe shooting victim's mother says daughter turned down suspect's advances
- Cougar kills mountain biker, injures fellow rider
- Increasing lava flow prompts new evacuations, first injury since eruption
- Wife of man charged in blast probe died in 'mysterious case'
- Over 2 dozen people rushed to hospital after bad reaction to synthetic weed
- Community mourns the 10 victims killed as authorities probe motive behind massacre
- Stormy weather moves into Midwest as East dries out
- Teacher's aide among 10 victims killed in Texas high school shooting
- The Latest: Wounded student attends school baseball game
- WATCH: Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on Santa Fe High School mass shooting
- WATCH: Parents who lost children in school shootings respond to tragedy in Texas
- WATCH: 1 person killed, 1 injured in mountain lion attack in Washington state
- WATCH: New details emerge on how the Texas school shooting was carried out
- WATCH: Workers left dangling after scaffold collapse in Atlanta
- WATCH: The moments from the Royal wedding
- WATCH: Explosion rocking a chemical plant near Houston
- WATCH: Alleged Santa Fe HS shooter charged with capital murder
- WATCH: New eruption from the summit of Kilauea puts dozens more homes in danger
- WATCH: Students wipe away tears as they return to Santa Fe High School
- WATCH: What we know about the Sante Fe High School alleged shooter
24-year-old suspect in custody after shooting in Brockville apartment
Brockville Police say a 24-year-old man is facing several gun-related charges after a shooting atRead More
U.S. criticizes China’s militarization of disputed waters
BEIJING — The Pentagon criticized what it called China’s “continued militarization” of island outposts inRead More