Parents of children with autism consider legal action against QC government.
Published Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:19PM EDT
Last Updated Sunday, April 15, 2018 8:39PM EDT
For years, the complaint has been that there’s not enough money or resources for children with autism.
Now their parents are considering filing lawsuits against numerous government bodies, citing “systemic discrimination.”
Claudia Taboada can’t help but get emotional when she thinks about the impact autism has had on her life – her son, a teen, has a neurodevelopmental disorder.
In order to care for him, Taboada quit her job in 2003 to take on new full-time responsibilities .
“We are competent women who have had to stay at home to care for our children,” she said.
Taboada and a group of similarly frustrated parents sought the help of the Centre for Research-Action on Race Relations (CRARR) to help address what they believe to be systemic discrimination within Quebec’s health care and education systems.
They say their children have not received proper care, treatment, or support.
“This is it,” said Taboada. “We are sick and tired of the government not listening to us. This is for our children – we have to go, and we have to fight.”
The group says a lawsuit against the Minsitry of Education, Health, or even individual school boards is currently in the works.
They want to hear from other parents who are dealing with similar situations.
“Children like my son end up on a cocktail of anti-psychotics,” explained Katharine Cukier, a parent. “He is not psychotic. He is autistic. But they use the psychotics for tranquilization.”
Cukier is also part of this group, having also taken off work to care for her child. She estimates a loss of about $100,000 in wages because of this, and the ordeal has taken its toll on her family.
“My husband, my teenage daughter, and myself were all treated for depression,” she said.
The Quebec government says they’ve pledged to invest $29 million dollars annually over five years starting in 2017, as part of their autism spectrum disorder action plan.
“So whatever, they’re saying the $29 million – I don’t know,” Taboada said. “Most of us have not seen that money.”
For Samuel Kuhn, it’s been a struggle with the government for years. His seven-year-old daughter Charlotte has autism, and is non-verbal.
“This is cruel what they’re doing to our families,” he said. “What they’re doing to our kids – my daughter, it’s not her fault she has autism.”
Earlier this year, Kuhn protested in front of Minister Lucie Charlebois’ office, to no avail. He says that even though Charlotte qualifies for government-assisted speech therapy, the access is lacking.
“To this day she’s never received a minute of speech therapy from the Quebec government despite qualifying, despite them knowing about this,” he said.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- 4 dead, others wounded in shooting at Tennessee Waffle House
- Trump adviser dodges question about the president's 'drunk/drugged up loser' tweet
- 10 hot vehicles most likely to increase in value, 'terrifying the neighbors'
- World's oldest person, last survivor of 19th century, dies in Japan at 117
- Mike Myers, other stars react to Verne Troyer's death
- President Trump was not at Barbara Bush's funeral - here's why
- Fighter Ricky Simon wins by TKO after final bell at UFC Fight Night 128
- What does it take to become a 401(k) millionaire?
- 5 new books you won't want to miss this week, including Joanna Gaines' cookbook
- Islamic State suicide bomber kills 57 in Afghan capital
- Anti-fascists protest neo-Nazi rally in Georgia, leading to 10 arrests but no injuries
- Car subscription services offer simple, flexible alternative to buying or leasing a car
- White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar in critical condition after brain hemorrhage in dugout
- Nick Saban overheard criticizing Jalen Hurts' decision to run, not pass, in spring game
- The funeral of Barbara Bush
- Mitt Romney must compete in Utah primary for U.S. Senate seat
- Keegan-Michael Key leads Penn State out of tunnel in hilarious impression of James Franklin
- Tech firms like Google, Amazon push power companies toward solar and wind, a blow to coal
- Norwegian Bliss, biggest Norwegian Cruise Line ship ever, begins maiden voyage
- On Earth Day, you shouldn't feel guilty about your plastic trash
USA News Headlines
- Southwest gives $5,000 checks to passengers on Flight 1380
- A lot of people wore their oxygen masks wrong during the emergency landing
- Firefighter who pulled victim back on plane: I 'felt a calling to help'
- Pilot: What happened on that Southwest flight
- Former Navy fighter pilot praised for her 'nerves of steel' during emergency
- Democrats file suit alleging Russia, Trump campaign, WikiLeaks conspired to interfere in 2016 campaign
- Getting to work could soon be a lot easier
- Getting fired was the best thing that happened to this billionaire
- How fruit juice got boxed out of the health craze
- New York City streets go car-free for Earth Day
- Administrators arrested in school 'fight club' case
- Explosives stolen from construction site found
- Tennessee man charged with murder, arson
- Good Samaritans save woman from fiery wreck
- Georgia city holds neo-Nazi rally
- DNR police urging boaters to be safe
- Murder conviction of Hiawatha Robinson upheld
- Threatening letters target school superintendent
- Baby boutique truck helps homeless kids
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson responds to student's promposal
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Naked gunman on the run after killing 4 people at a Waffle House near Nashville
- Man wearing 'MAGA' hat, Trump shirt attacks Hispanic subway rider: Police
- Police shooting of unarmed black man 'massively irresponsible and reckless': Attorney
- Barbara Bush remembered at funeral as 'the first lady of the greatest generation'
- Mother accidentally shoots, kills 2-year-old daughter: Police
- Man who shot 2 deputies in Florida was mystery to neighbors
- 'Mini-Me' actor in 'Austin Powers' movies dead at 49
- Isolated strong thunderstorms, flooding possible across Southeast
- Man killed in random knife attack at California steakhouse
- The Latest: Florida suspect fired gun from within restaurant
- WATCH: 4 dead, several injured in Waffle House shooting
- WATCH: Senate Foreign Relations Committee chair on North Korea, Pompeo nomination and more
- WATCH: Gunman opens fire at Waffle House outside Nashville
- WATCH: Surfer survives shark, bear attacks within months
- WATCH: Student asks most important lady in his life to prom
- WATCH: White Sox player in critical condition after suffering brain aneurysm
- WATCH: Nation says goodbye to first lady Barbara Bush
- WATCH: Thousands pay respect to Barbara Bush at her funeral in Houston
- WATCH: Manhunt in Georgia for convicted killer
- WATCH: Police cam shows officers circling the parking lot where teen died in his car
Mother of boy swept into Grand River says search has ‘finally come to an end’
Codi Wilson, CTV News Toronto Published Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:44AM EDT Last Updated Sunday,Read More
Leafs beat Bruins 4-3 as series hits Game 6
Joshua Clipperton, The Canadian Press Published Saturday, April 21, 2018 11:12PM EDT BOSTON — TylerRead More