Paul Bernardo to appear in court on weapons charge
Convicted killer Paul Bernardo is scheduled to make a court appearance in Napanee, Ont., today via video from prison.
He is charged with one count of possession of a weapon and this will be his third court date on the matter when he steps before a camera at the maximum-security Millhaven Institution.
Court documents show he alleged offence occurred Feb. 9 at the prison in Bath, Ont.
Bernardo, one of Canada’s most infamous killers, was arrested in the 1990s on allegations that he raped and murdered multiple teenage girls at his Ontario home.
His 1995 trial for the deaths of 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy and 15-year-old Kristen French horrified Canadians as lawyers presented videotaped evidence of his repeated brutal attacks on the teenagers.
Bernardo was eventually convicted of first-degree murder, kidnapping, forcible confinement and aggravated sexual assault in both cases and sentenced to life without the possibility of parole for 25 years.
He was later convicted of manslaughter in the death of Tammy Homolka, the younger sister of his wife Karla Homolka, who was convicted of having roles in all three killings and served a 12-year prison sentence after striking a deal with prosecutors.
After admitting to raping 14 other women in and around Toronto, Bernardo was labelled a dangerous offender, which all but ensures he will stay behind bars for life.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- Texas shooting suspect won’t face death penalty, could be paroled
- Mother of Texas school shooting survivor says gunman killed students as they hid in closet
- Harry and Meghan's wedding reception: See her new dress, and that Jaguar
- Tina Fey's 'Saturday Night Live' monologue was crashed with star-studded cameos
- Pastor plays host to gun class one day after school shooting kills 10 in close-knit community
- More than 25 hospitalized in NYC due to synthetic marijuana
- LeBron James, Cavaliers destroy Celtics in Game 3 of Eastern Conference finals
- Parkland survivor David Hogg: Wear #OrangeCaps at graduation for gun control
- Mountain lion kills one man, seriously injures another east of Seattle
- Hotel front desk secrets: 9 ways to improve your stay
- Cowboys receiver Terrance Williams arrested after car accident
- How Prince Harry and Meghan Markle honored Princess Diana at their wedding
- Did (possibly pregnant) Pippa Middleton steal the show at another royal wedding?
- Scenes from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's royal wedding
- Boss, 56, has sex with drunk teenage employee, gets 6 years in prison
- Royal wedding fashion: Amal Clooney is a ray of sunshine in yellow Stella McCartney
- School resource officer John Barnes, others: Heroes emerge in Texas school shooting
- Still friends! Prince Harry's ex-girlfriends Chelsy Davy, Cressida Bonas attend wedding
- Helicopter airlifts trapped residents as lava from Hawaii volcano speeds up, air quality diminishes
- Bishop Michael Curry quotes MLK, Jr. at royal wedding
USA News Headlines
- 'All that was going through my head was get out'
- Texas official blames shooting on too many exits and entrances
- These are the victims of the shooting
- Suspect tells investigator he spared people he liked
- Student who was shot in head speaks out
- Opinion: Something was different about this
- Trump really wants the (North Korean) show to go on
- Mueller has a lot of options besides indicting Trump. Here they are
- Air Force apologizes for 'Yanny' or 'Laurel' tweet
- Cuomo presses Giuliani on informants claim
- Trump administration to bar abortions at facilities receiving federal family funds
- Richard Branson considers this one of his biggest mistakes
- 'China's SpaceX' launches first private rocket
- The drones that fly 24/7, no humans needed
- Help me! Raccoon rescued from storm drain
- Teen fighting for the rights of gun owners
- Woman trapped by mud has died
- Teacher finds 6-year-old chewing on bag of cocaine
- Man lives his last days on Mississippi River
- Hardware employees save woman's life
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Community mourns the 10 victims killed as authorities probe motive behind massacre
- Airline passenger punches deaf pregnant woman, service dog: Police
- The Latest: Wounded student attends school baseball game
- Doctor who slipped abortion drug into girlfriend's tea sentenced to 3 years in prison
- Wife of man charged in blast probe died in 'mysterious case'
- What we know about the Texas school shooting suspect
- Teacher's aide among 10 victims killed in Texas high school shooting
- Students storm high school with water guns, fireworks in fake shooting prank
- Kentucky Derby winner Justify wins Preakness
- 1 dead, 1 injured in shooting after high school graduation
- WATCH: Workers left dangling after scaffold collapse in Atlanta
- WATCH: The moments from the Royal wedding
- WATCH: Explosion rocking a chemical plant near Houston
- WATCH: Alleged Santa Fe HS shooter charged with capital murder
- WATCH: New eruption from the summit of Kilauea puts dozens more homes in danger
- WATCH: Students wipe away tears as they returning to Santa Fe high school
- WATCH: What we know about the Sante Fe High School alleged shooter
- WATCH: The best of Harry and Meghan's royal wedding
- WATCH: Suspected Texas shooter makes 1st court appearance
- WATCH: Vigil planned for Santa Fe community after deadly school shooting
U.S. criticizes China’s militarization of disputed waters
BEIJING — The Pentagon criticized what it called China’s “continued militarization” of island outposts inRead More
1 dead, 1 injured in cougar attack in Washington state
NORTH BEND, Wash. — One man was killed and another seriously injured when they encounteredRead More