Ronald McDonald House families embark on special flight to the North Pole
A dozen families who have been staying at the Ronald McDonald House received a much-needed reprieve from their days in hospital as they boarded a magical flight from the Calgary International Airport to the North Pole.
The flight was organized by volunteers with Air Canada Jazz who wanted to share the Christmas spirit with children who will likely spend the holiday season in hospital.
Jaylin Mendenhall boarded the flight alongside his son. “Little Mason here was diagnosed with Stage 4 neuroblastoma back in July,” said Mendenhall. “He is going to be in strict isolation for three weeks. He won’t be able to leave the room.”
Following a safety demonstration from the elves of the flight crew, the plane took off. Within minutes, the children were gazing down on the wintery landscape of the mountainous ‘North Pole’. While the scenery captured their attention, the passengers failed to notice a special visitor had joined them.
Santa Claus made his way down the aisle handing out gifts and led the group in Christmas carols.
The entire flight crew donated their time to the cause.
“It’s volunteer,” said Marlene Oberg, a flight attendant with Air Canada. “I love it. I said before I would have paid to do this. It was amazing.”
Stephanie King embraced the opportunity to spend time with her loved ones outside of the Ronald McDonald House.
“It’s important for the kids to experience things as a family because often times you are separated,” said King. “We really appreciate the family being together.”
Saturday’s flight from Calgary to the North Pole was the third edition of the annual event and similar trips have been made from cities throughout Canada.
With files from CTV’s Brad MacLeod
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- 'Generation Columbine' has never known a world without school shootings
- Exclusive: Nearly half of parents worry their child is addicted to mobile devices
- Barack Obama to student activists: 'We've been waiting for you. And we've got your backs'
- NRA's Wayne LaPierre says gun control advocates 'hate individual freedom'
- Trump doubles down on support for arming teachers to prevent school shootings
- Oprah responds to Trump's '60 Minutes' tweet: 'I don't like giving negativity power'
- United pilot flies lost wedding ring over 2,500 miles to owner
- How an Indiana school protects against mass shootings as the 'safest school in America'
- Quincy Jones apologizes for 'silly' stuff he's said, blames age and 'wordvomit'
- At medal ceremony after loss to USA, Canada's Jocelyne Larocque yanks silver medal off her neck
- Why more TV shows are looking to God for relatable, religious-themed comedy
- Billy Graham's nephew isn't mourning his passing
- Women in film: Bad news overall with bright spots for women of color, annual study shows
- Apple's Airpods will get more Siri support, water resistance: report
- Jane Seymour poses for 'Playboy' at 67 and details sexual harassment in interview
- 'I hear you': People amazed at Trump's notes for school shooting listening session
- Doctors remove tumor so large it was 'like a head on top of another head'
- Mother's nightmare at Mexico resort: 'There is more to this deeper, darker story than we know'
- ‘We will not be silenced’: Parkland shooting survivors start a movement, a visual story
- The best Oscar dresses throughout history
USA News Headlines
- The storm hit. Then they moved... to all 50 states
- School cheers as power returns after 112 days
- Color brings hope to Puerto Rico
- The drive that shows how badly the island was hit
- Displaced families face FEMA deadline
- 8 numbers on guns that matter
- Rubio: I support raising age limit on rifles
- Congresswoman claims most mass shooters are Democrats
- Kushner-Kelly divide deepens over security clearance overhaul
- Melania Trump's parents' immigration status could be thanks to 'chain migration'
- Why tech secrets could cause clash between U.S. and China
- Early burst of spring aggravates allergy sufferers
- Connection between Rev. Billy Graham & Music City
- Opponents urge lawmakers to halt pot legalization
- Officials investigate after dead fish wash ashore
- Store uses facial recognition to stop shoplifters
- School walkouts protest school shooting
- Pulse massacre survivors visit Parkland students
- 'Trash Man of Brick' dedicated to litter
- Attorney charged for having sex with his dog
ABC NEWS Headlines
- School shooting suspect could lose public defender after reports of $800K inheritance
- Florida student mistaken for gunman: 'I knew any move I made' would end 'my life'
- Superintendent vows to suspend students who walk out to protest guns
- US Army's top engineer 'not satisfied' with Puerto Rico's post-Maria recovery
- Slain football coach ran 'toward danger' to save students in shooting: Sheriff
- FCC expected to repeal net neutrality rules on Thursday
- Attorney general in hot seat again after new Trump tweet
- California school shooting plot foiled, assault rifles found
- The distinctive profile of school shooters: 'Always a trail of what they're about to'
- Evangelist Billy Graham dies at 99
- 'Selfless' off-duty officer saved neighbor's life 'by giving his own'
- The Latest: Rev. Billy Graham to lie in honor at US Capitol
- 9-year-old in Tennessee writes letter to sheriff asking for more school security
- WATCH: Off-duty Maryland officer saved neighbor's life 'by giving his own' in shooting
- WATCH: Dad who survived son's murder plot that killed mom, brother wants his life spared
- WATCH: Can anonymous tip apps help stop potential school shootings?
- WATCH: 12-year-old YouTube gamer caught on camera as latest swatting victim
- WATCH: NBA players react to team's sexual misconduct allegations
- WATCH: Student activists react to Trump, Florida lawmakers on guns
- WATCH: Trump open to stronger gun background checks, arming teachers
New group home opens for disabled seniors in Yorkton
Yorkton residents are welcoming a new addition to the community in the form of aRead More
Flooding due to ice jam prompts state of emergency in Brantford, Ont.
Daksha Rangan, CTVNews.ca Published Wednesday, February 21, 2018 11:20AM EST Last Updated Wednesday, February 21,Read More