Ronald McDonald House families embark on special flight to the North Pole
A dozen families who have been staying at the Ronald McDonald House received a much-needed reprieve from their days in hospital as they boarded a magical flight from the Calgary International Airport to the North Pole.
The flight was organized by volunteers with Air Canada Jazz who wanted to share the Christmas spirit with children who will likely spend the holiday season in hospital.
Jaylin Mendenhall boarded the flight alongside his son. “Little Mason here was diagnosed with Stage 4 neuroblastoma back in July,” said Mendenhall. “He is going to be in strict isolation for three weeks. He won’t be able to leave the room.”
Following a safety demonstration from the elves of the flight crew, the plane took off. Within minutes, the children were gazing down on the wintery landscape of the mountainous ‘North Pole’. While the scenery captured their attention, the passengers failed to notice a special visitor had joined them.
Santa Claus made his way down the aisle handing out gifts and led the group in Christmas carols.
The entire flight crew donated their time to the cause.
“It’s volunteer,” said Marlene Oberg, a flight attendant with Air Canada. “I love it. I said before I would have paid to do this. It was amazing.”
Stephanie King embraced the opportunity to spend time with her loved ones outside of the Ronald McDonald House.
“It’s important for the kids to experience things as a family because often times you are separated,” said King. “We really appreciate the family being together.”
Saturday’s flight from Calgary to the North Pole was the third edition of the annual event and similar trips have been made from cities throughout Canada.
With files from CTV’s Brad MacLeod
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- Santa Fe High's disastrous year: From devastating floods to tragic school shooting
- House conservatives offer resolution for second special counsel to investigate FBI, DOJ
- NFL owners officially approve sale of Panthers, but will team stay in Charlotte?
- Man taped ranting about Spanish speakers, immigrants apologizes: 'I am not a racist'
- Giuseppe Conte could be Italy's next prime minister, but questions swirl about his résumé
- White House says it isn't responsible for commemorative North Korea summit coin
- Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan beam at first post-royal wedding appearance
- Trump 'not satisfied' with China trade deal that has been criticized by both parties
- Pregnant, teenage inmate indicted after escaping police custody at hospital
- Senate negotiators reach deal to revamp sexual harassment policies after wave of scandals
- Former Houston Texans cheerleaders allege harassment, physical assault in federal lawsuit
- Man urinated on seat mid-flight after touching female passenger without consent, FBI says
- ESPN's 'World Fame 100' athlete ranking includes just seven NFL players; MLB is shut out
- Beach bummer? Tropical storm could drench Gulf Coast over Memorial Day weekend
- Woman says she delivered her baby in jail cell after jailers said she was faking labor
- Women with this bra size report to be the happiest
- New eruptions at Hawaii volcano send lava closer to power plant: 'No one has faced this before'
- Publix supermarket in South Carolina censors high school graduate's 'Summa Cum Laude' cake
- Jimmy Fallon, James Corden, Conan O'Brien give royal wedding insights in Best of Late Night
- The best toilet paper of 2018
USA News Headlines
- A huge fountain of lava flows in Hawaii
- Lava is flowing into the ocean
- Kilauea erupts again as Hawaiians struggle with toxic gas and lost income
- See lava from Hawaii volcano reach the ocean
- Stacey Abrams stands out in a record year for women -- she hopes to be the first black female governor
- Lawmakers return to Washington amid calls for gun control
- Hillary Clinton trolls Trump with Russian hat
- Oakland mayor on GOP threats: I'm not going to let 'bullies in Washington' deter me
- Millennials are shaking up these 7 industries
- He started out selling T-shirts from a van. Now he's an investor on 'Shark Tank'
- PayPal's biggest ever takeover
- Officer performs C-section, rescues baby fawn
- Power outage triggers 'zombie alert' in Florida
- Father hears son's heart beat in stranger
- Boxer takes down suspected bank robber
- Georgia governor candidates to be chosen
- Bear destroys car after getting stuck inside
- Parents file lawsuit on son, 30, to move out
- 1,000th Burmese python captured
- 'Summa - - - Laude': Graduation cake censored
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Police give grim details on how they stopped Texas school shooter
- 16-year-old boy accused of fatally hitting police officer with car
- Judge orders man, 30, out of parents' home after monthslong battle: 'I want you out'
- New volcanic eruption in Hawaii spews more lava into the ocean, triggering more fears
- Lawyer caught on video in anti-immigrant rant apologizes: 'I am not racist'
- McDonald's workers allege widespread sexual misconduct
- The warning signs to look for when a potential shooter has no criminal history
- Santa Fe teen says friend saved her life, sacrificed his own by putting her in closet
- How Santa Fe victim's tragic death is bringing her family an unexpected 'blessing'
- Breaking down the debate over violent video games and school shootings
- Father intentionally crashes into restaurant, killing 2 family members: Police
- 'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli owes IRS more than $1.6M
- Guns found at 2 schools, threats reported at 3 schools near Santa Fe High School
- WATCH: Lawyer caught on video in anti-immigrant rant apologizes: 'I am not racist'
- WATCH: DC mayor reveals she's adopted a baby, become a single mom
- WATCH: A woman to lead the New York Stock Exchange for the first time
- WATCH: 'I got attacked by a mountain lion,' survivor of cougar mauling says in 911 call
- WATCH: Judge orders 30-year-old man to vacate parents' home
- WATCH: Officer heard on video telling man he can break into ex-girlfriend's home
- WATCH: Grocery omits Latin word due to its similarity to profanity
N.S. veteran’s battle to have injury acknowledged stalls after doctor retires
CTV Atlantic Published Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:33PM ADT Last Updated Tuesday, May 22, 2018Read More
EPS issue arrest warrants for high-risk offender
The Edmonton Police Service (EPS) has issued arrest warrants for a high-risk offender who breachedRead More