Sask. premier will follow Alta. in blocking oil to B.C.
Saskatchewan’s premier says he will follow suit with this Alberta counterpart when it comes to introducing legislation which would cut off the province’s flow of oil to BC if an agreement can’t be reached.
“The province of Saskatchewan would be the next place for BC to look for fuel products. So we will be looking at this legislation more closely and we will be introducing our own piece of legislation in the next couple of days, not weeks, but days. We will be asking the opposition here in Saskatchewan to support that,” said Premier Scott Moe on Monday.
Despite an emergency meeting between B.C., Alberta and the federal government on Sunday, B.C. Premier John Horgan stands firm on his concerns surrounding the pipeline.
“Our tourism industry would be severely compromised with an adverse diluted bitumen spill,” Horgan said on Sunday.
Alberta Premier Rachel Notley and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau have made statements about seeking financial arrangements with Kinder Morgan to reassure investors.
“I have instructed the Minister of Finance to initiate formal financial discussions with Kinder Morgan,” Trudeau also said on Sunday.
Meanwhile, Saskatchewan’s finance minister isn’t sure if dollars will make a difference.
“We just need him to step up to the plate and prove to us that we are a nation that’s united,” Finance Minister Donna Harpauer said on Monday.
There’s division coming from the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) when it comes to taxpayers footing the bill to keep the pipeline project on track.
“Throwing taxpayer money on this bonfire of a debacle is not going to solve it,” said Todd MacKay, prairie director of the CTF. “What we need to do is get the politicians in the same room and tell them they can’t come out until they have a solution.”
Alberta and Saskatchewan are upping the ante with this legislation that would ultimately leave BC’s oil taps dry if its stance on the pipeline project doesn’t change – an ultimatum Premier Moe hopes doesn’t have to come to fruition.
“We hope it doesn’t come to this. We truly don’t,” he said. “This is not a conversation we want to be having as a province of Saskatchewan.” he said. “We want to have a conversation on how we can continue to enhance our opporutinites here in Saskatchewan to enhance the economy, not just in Saskatchewan but across Canada.”
Kinder Morgan has given the federal government a deadline of May 31 to reassure its investors the Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion will be built.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- 4 dead, others wounded in shooting at Tennessee Waffle House
- Trump adviser dodges question about the president's 'drunk/drugged up loser' tweet
- 10 hot vehicles most likely to increase in value, 'terrifying the neighbors'
- World's oldest person, last survivor of 19th century, dies in Japan at 117
- Mike Myers, other stars react to Verne Troyer's death
- President Trump was not at Barbara Bush's funeral - here's why
- Fighter Ricky Simon wins by TKO after final bell at UFC Fight Night 128
- What does it take to become a 401(k) millionaire?
- 5 new books you won't want to miss this week, including Joanna Gaines' cookbook
- Islamic State suicide bomber kills 57 in Afghan capital
- Anti-fascists protest neo-Nazi rally in Georgia, leading to 10 arrests but no injuries
- Car subscription services offer simple, flexible alternative to buying or leasing a car
- White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar in critical condition after brain hemorrhage in dugout
- Nick Saban overheard criticizing Jalen Hurts' decision to run, not pass, in spring game
- The funeral of Barbara Bush
- Mitt Romney must compete in Utah primary for U.S. Senate seat
- Keegan-Michael Key leads Penn State out of tunnel in hilarious impression of James Franklin
- Tech firms like Google, Amazon push power companies toward solar and wind, a blow to coal
- Norwegian Bliss, biggest Norwegian Cruise Line ship ever, begins maiden voyage
- On Earth Day, you shouldn't feel guilty about your plastic trash
USA News Headlines
- Southwest gives $5,000 checks to passengers on Flight 1380
- A lot of people wore their oxygen masks wrong during the emergency landing
- Firefighter who pulled victim back on plane: I 'felt a calling to help'
- Pilot: What happened on that Southwest flight
- Former Navy fighter pilot praised for her 'nerves of steel' during emergency
- Democrats file suit alleging Russia, Trump campaign, WikiLeaks conspired to interfere in 2016 campaign
- Getting to work could soon be a lot easier
- Getting fired was the best thing that happened to this billionaire
- How fruit juice got boxed out of the health craze
- New York City streets go car-free for Earth Day
- Administrators arrested in school 'fight club' case
- Explosives stolen from construction site found
- Tennessee man charged with murder, arson
- Good Samaritans save woman from fiery wreck
- Georgia city holds neo-Nazi rally
- DNR police urging boaters to be safe
- Murder conviction of Hiawatha Robinson upheld
- Threatening letters target school superintendent
- Baby boutique truck helps homeless kids
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson responds to student's promposal
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Naked gunman on the run after killing 4 people at a Waffle House near Nashville
- Man wearing 'MAGA' hat, Trump shirt attacks Hispanic subway rider: Police
- Police shooting of unarmed black man 'massively irresponsible and reckless': Attorney
- Barbara Bush remembered at funeral as 'the first lady of the greatest generation'
- Mother accidentally shoots, kills 2-year-old daughter: Police
- Man who shot 2 deputies in Florida was mystery to neighbors
- 'Mini-Me' actor in 'Austin Powers' movies dead at 49
- Isolated strong thunderstorms, flooding possible across Southeast
- Man killed in random knife attack at California steakhouse
- The Latest: Florida suspect fired gun from within restaurant
- WATCH: 4 dead, several injured in Waffle House shooting
- WATCH: Senate Foreign Relations Committee chair on North Korea, Pompeo nomination and more
- WATCH: Gunman opens fire at Waffle House outside Nashville
- WATCH: Surfer survives shark, bear attacks within months
- WATCH: Student asks most important lady in his life to prom
- WATCH: White Sox player in critical condition after suffering brain aneurysm
- WATCH: Nation says goodbye to first lady Barbara Bush
- WATCH: Thousands pay respect to Barbara Bush at her funeral in Houston
- WATCH: Manhunt in Georgia for convicted killer
- WATCH: Police cam shows officers circling the parking lot where teen died in his car
Mother of boy swept into Grand River says search has ‘finally come to an end’
Codi Wilson, CTV News Toronto Published Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:44AM EDT Last Updated Sunday,Read More
Leafs beat Bruins 4-3 as series hits Game 6
Joshua Clipperton, The Canadian Press Published Saturday, April 21, 2018 11:12PM EDT BOSTON — TylerRead More