Spokesman: Former first lady Barbara Bush in failing health
Michael Graczyk, The Associated Press
Published Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:24PM EDT
Last Updated Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:56PM EDT
HOUSTON — Former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush is in “failing health” and won’t seek additional medical treatment, a Bush family spokesman said Sunday.
“Following a recent series of hospitalizations, and after consulting her family and doctors, Mrs. Bush, now age 92, has decided not to seek additional medical treatment and will instead focus on comfort care,” spokesman Jim McGrath said in a news release.
McGrath did not elaborate as to the nature of Bush’s health problems. She has been treated for decades for Graves’ disease, which is a thyroid condition.
“It will not surprise those who know her thatBarbara Bush has been a rock in the face of her failing health, worrying not for herself — thanks to her abiding faith — but for others,” McGrath said. “She is surrounded by a family she adores, and appreciates the many kind messages and especially the prayers she is receiving.”
Bush is one of only two first ladies who was also the mother of a president. The other was Abigail Adams, wife of John Adams and mother of John Quincy Adams.
She married George H.W. Bush in 1945. They had six children and have been married longer than any presidential couple in American history.
Eight years after she and her husband left the White House, Mrs. Bush stood with her husband as their son George W. was sworn in as president.
Her husband, 94, also has had health issues in recent years.
In April 2017, he was released from a hospital in Houston after being treated for two weeks for a mild case of pneumonia and chronic bronchitis. Months earlier, he was a Houston’s Methodist Hospital for 16 days, also for pneumonia.
The nation’s 41s president also was hospitalized in 2015 in Maine, where he and his wife spend summers at their home in Kennebunkport, after falling at home and breaking a bone in his neck. He was hospitalized in Houston in December 2014 for about a week for shortness of breath and spent Christmas 2012 in intensive care for a bronchitis-related cough and other issues.
Bush, who served as president from 1989 to 1993, has a form of Parkinson’s disease and uses a motorized scooter or a wheelchair for mobility. He also served as a congressman, CIA director and Ronald Reagan’s vice-president.
Barbara Pierce Bush was born in Rye, New York. Her father was the publisher of McCall’s and Redbook magazines. She married at age 19 while George Bush was a young naval aviator. After World War II, the Bushes moved to Texas where he went into the oil business.
Statement by the Office of George H. W. Bush on the health of former First Lady Barbara Bush. pic.twitter.com/4csUS6IRKZ
— Jim McGrath (@jgm41) April 15, 2018
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- 4 dead, others wounded in shooting at Tennessee Waffle House
- Trump adviser dodges question about the president's 'drunk/drugged up loser' tweet
- 10 hot vehicles most likely to increase in value, 'terrifying the neighbors'
- World's oldest person, last survivor of 19th century, dies in Japan at 117
- Mike Myers, other stars react to Verne Troyer's death
- President Trump was not at Barbara Bush's funeral - here's why
- Fighter Ricky Simon wins by TKO after final bell at UFC Fight Night 128
- What does it take to become a 401(k) millionaire?
- 5 new books you won't want to miss this week, including Joanna Gaines' cookbook
- Islamic State suicide bomber kills 57 in Afghan capital
- Anti-fascists protest neo-Nazi rally in Georgia, leading to 10 arrests but no injuries
- Car subscription services offer simple, flexible alternative to buying or leasing a car
- White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar in critical condition after brain hemorrhage in dugout
- Nick Saban overheard criticizing Jalen Hurts' decision to run, not pass, in spring game
- The funeral of Barbara Bush
- Mitt Romney must compete in Utah primary for U.S. Senate seat
- Keegan-Michael Key leads Penn State out of tunnel in hilarious impression of James Franklin
- Tech firms like Google, Amazon push power companies toward solar and wind, a blow to coal
- Norwegian Bliss, biggest Norwegian Cruise Line ship ever, begins maiden voyage
- On Earth Day, you shouldn't feel guilty about your plastic trash
USA News Headlines
- Southwest gives $5,000 checks to passengers on Flight 1380
- A lot of people wore their oxygen masks wrong during the emergency landing
- Firefighter who pulled victim back on plane: I 'felt a calling to help'
- Pilot: What happened on that Southwest flight
- Former Navy fighter pilot praised for her 'nerves of steel' during emergency
- Democrats file suit alleging Russia, Trump campaign, WikiLeaks conspired to interfere in 2016 campaign
- Getting to work could soon be a lot easier
- Getting fired was the best thing that happened to this billionaire
- How fruit juice got boxed out of the health craze
- New York City streets go car-free for Earth Day
- Administrators arrested in school 'fight club' case
- Explosives stolen from construction site found
- Tennessee man charged with murder, arson
- Good Samaritans save woman from fiery wreck
- Georgia city holds neo-Nazi rally
- DNR police urging boaters to be safe
- Murder conviction of Hiawatha Robinson upheld
- Threatening letters target school superintendent
- Baby boutique truck helps homeless kids
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson responds to student's promposal
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Naked gunman on the run after killing 4 people at a Waffle House near Nashville
- Man wearing 'MAGA' hat, Trump shirt attacks Hispanic subway rider: Police
- Police shooting of unarmed black man 'massively irresponsible and reckless': Attorney
- Barbara Bush remembered at funeral as 'the first lady of the greatest generation'
- Mother accidentally shoots, kills 2-year-old daughter: Police
- Man who shot 2 deputies in Florida was mystery to neighbors
- 'Mini-Me' actor in 'Austin Powers' movies dead at 49
- Isolated strong thunderstorms, flooding possible across Southeast
- Man killed in random knife attack at California steakhouse
- The Latest: Florida suspect fired gun from within restaurant
- WATCH: 4 dead, several injured in Waffle House shooting
- WATCH: Senate Foreign Relations Committee chair on North Korea, Pompeo nomination and more
- WATCH: Gunman opens fire at Waffle House outside Nashville
- WATCH: Surfer survives shark, bear attacks within months
- WATCH: Student asks most important lady in his life to prom
- WATCH: White Sox player in critical condition after suffering brain aneurysm
- WATCH: Nation says goodbye to first lady Barbara Bush
- WATCH: Thousands pay respect to Barbara Bush at her funeral in Houston
- WATCH: Manhunt in Georgia for convicted killer
- WATCH: Police cam shows officers circling the parking lot where teen died in his car
Mother of boy swept into Grand River says search has ‘finally come to an end’
Codi Wilson, CTV News Toronto Published Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:44AM EDT Last Updated Sunday,Read More
Leafs beat Bruins 4-3 as series hits Game 6
Joshua Clipperton, The Canadian Press Published Saturday, April 21, 2018 11:12PM EDT BOSTON — TylerRead More