accused

 
 

Case of accused North York van attack suspect back in court

Alek Minassian

TORONTO — The case of a man accused of killing 10 people in a van attack in north Toronto returns to court today. Alek Minassian, 26, of Richmond Hill, Ont., faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder in connection with incident on April 23. Police allege Minassian drove a rental van down a busy sidewalk along Yonge Street, mowing down pedestrians on the way. Last month, court heard the deputy attorney general granted the prosecution’s request to skip the preliminary hearing in the case andRead More


Montreal man accused of attacking police officer at Michigan airport was on mission to ‘kill Americans’

Amor Ftouhi

A U.S. prosecutor says a Montreal man accused of stabbing a police officer at a Michigan airport was willing to die if he could have seized the victim’s gun and attacked others. Jurors heard opening statements Wednesday in the trial of Amor Ftouhi, a Tunisian who was living in Montreal. He’s charged with three crimes at the Flint airport in 2017, including an act of terrorism. Federal prosecutor Jules DePorre said Ftouhi saw himself as a martyr who wanted to “kill Americans until he himself was killed.” Ftouhi’s lawyer didn’tRead More


Man accused of Fredericton murder spree says he wants different lawyer

Matthew Vincent Raymond

THE CANADIAN PRESS Published Monday, November 5, 2018 3:15PM AST Last Updated Monday, November 5, 2018 4:12PM AST FREDERICTON — A Fredericton man accused of murdering two police officers and two civilians in an August shooting spree has told a judge that he wants a new lawyer. Matthew Raymond said he feels he has not been defended by his lawyer and wants a new one appointed. The court was to have heard the Crown’s application today for a psychological assessment, but that’s on hold until Raymond’s lawyer issue is settled.Read More


Killer Paul Bernardo set for weapon trial; lifer accused of having ‘shank’

Paul Bernardo

NAPANEE, Ont. — Notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo is due in an eastern Ontario courtroom today for his trial on a weapons possession charge. Authorities accuse the maximum-security inmate of possessing a “shank” — consisting of a screw with a pen as a handle — in prison in February. The 54-year-old Bernardo had said he wanted to get the trial done before a parole hearing scheduled for later this month. His lawyer says his client is presumed innocent and will be acquitted. Also known as the “Scarborough rapist,”Read More


N.S. bus driver accused of losing temper with kids, flagging down cop

N.S. bus driver accused of losing temper with kids, flagging down cop

CTVNews.ca Staff Published Tuesday, October 2, 2018 6:26PM EDT Last Updated Tuesday, October 2, 2018 9:47PM EDT A Nova Scotia school bus driver has been suspended after children said he lost his temper, veered off his route and flagged down a police officer to lecture the kids about their behaviour. Mother Stacie Corrigan said the bus driver’s actions were deeply upsetting to her two sons, ages five and seven. One of them had a sore stomach afterward, she said. “I asked him, ‘Does your tummy hurt because of what happenedRead More


Court hears closing arguments in trial of two accused in Ryan Sugar’s death

Ryan Sugar murder

Court heard closing arguments Monday in the first-degree murder trial of two people accused in the death of Ryan Sugar. Sugar’s body was found in a burnt out house on McTavish Street in North Central Regina in October 2016, one week after a fire on October 5. Colinda Hotomanie, Gregory Wolfe, and Jessica Pangman were all charged with first-degree murder in Sugar’s death in December of 2016. Hotomanie and Wolfe are currently on trial and Pangman will be tried at a later date. In court on Monday, the Crown wentRead More


Accused in child porn case takes the stand

Saskatoon Court of Queen's Bench

A man charged with child luring, possessing and distributing child pornography and extortion took the stand in his own defense Thursday. Abdul Jat, 22, has pleaded not guilty in the case, which dates to 2016 and involved a 17-year-old girl with cognitive issues. The Crown alleges that Jat tricked the girl into sending hum naked photos after he requested to be her friend on Facebook, then threatened to show the pictures to her friends and family if she did not have sex with someone and photograph it. The nude photosRead More


Alberta teen accused of shooting German tourist expected to make court appearance

Tourist shot, shooting, Stoney Nakoda, German tour

A 16-year-old charged in the shooting of a German tourist near Morley last month is expected to appear in court in Cochrane on Tuesday. Police were called to Highway 1A, near Morley, on August 2 after the driver of an SUV was shot in the head by someone in a passing vehicle. Horst Stewin was visiting the area from Germany with his family and was taken to hospital in critical condition following the incident. He has since returned to Germany where he is recovering from his injuries. A 16-year-old male,Read More