news today live

 
 

Humans responsible for more than 400 B.C. wildfires so far this season

Humans responsible for more than 400 B.C. wildfires so far this season

VANCOUVER — Campfires, cigarettes, flares and car accidents are some of the ways humans have likely started more than 400 wildfires in British Columbia this season. As wildfires blaze across the province, the B.C. Wildfire Service says many of them have been avoidable. Despite efforts to spread the word about fire bans and other restrictions, fire information officer Ryan Turcot says many people still aren’t getting the message. “It’s important to note that every time we run into a human-caused wildfire, that’s a wildfire that didn’t have to happen,” TurcotRead More


High-risk sex offender believed to be living in Winnipeg: police

Badour

Police are notifying the public about a convicted high-risk sex offender who is now believed to be living in Winnipeg. Police said James Porter Badour has a history of sexual offences against young children, both male and female. Although he has participated in some treatment programming in the past, police said he is considered a high risk to reoffend. Police said all children are at risk. After being released from custody in 2017, Badour is subject to supervised probation until April of 2020. He has previously lived in Guelph andRead More


National Capital Commission announces work on bridges, pathways

Federal ministers, NCC on tour of Voyageur Pathway

The National Capital Commission has been given more than $21-million for three important bridge projects in both Ottawa and Gatineau. They are the Portage Bridge, the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway’s Lebreton exit bridge, and the Hog’s Back swing bridge. Money was also earmarked today to help repair the damage to the region’s multi-use pathways after that devastating flood last spring. Floodwaters washed away infrastructure and caused millions of dollars in damage. The bulk of the repairs are happening on the Voyageur Pathway by the Museum of History. Cyclists andRead More


‘We’re keeping the barn’: City reverses decision to take barn from Heritage Festival

heritage fest storage

The Heritage Festival will be allowed to use the barn where it stores its equipment year-round after all. The City of Edmonton and Heritage Festival officials met Friday to discuss the eviction notice issued by city administration, and the decision was reversed.   We’re keeping the barn! Thanks #yeg, @Paulatics @doniveson and more, for huge support. Late Fri afternoon mtg with @CityofEdmonton officials resulted in removal of eviction notice, plus agreement to explore longer-term initiatives such as new off-site storage facility. — Heritage Festival (@EdmHeritageFest) August 13, 2018 Mayor DonRead More


United Nations report: Up to 30,000 Islamic State members in Iraq, Syria

ISIS flag

CAMEROON, Cameroon — A new U.N. report says the Islamic State extremist group has an estimated 20,000 to 30,000 members equally distributed between Syria and Iraq and its global network poses a rising threat — as does al-Qaida’s global network. The experts’ report to the U.N. Security Council circulated Monday says it’s likely that a reduced “covert version” of the IS core will survive in Syria and Iraq, with “significant” affiliated supporters in Afghanistan, Libya, Southeast Asia and West Africa. The experts said al-Qaida’s global network “continues to show resilience”Read More


He said he would always come home, says spouse of officer killed in Fredericton

Robb Costello

Const. Robb Costello would often tell his spouse that no matter what happened to him on the job, he would always come home. On Friday, the Fredericton officer didn’t return. Instead, police showed up at Jackie McLean’s home to tell her the 45-year-old was among four people killed in a shooting that took place in a quiet residential neighbourhood. “This is the first day he did not come back home,” McLean, Costello’s common-law partner, told The Canadian Press in an interview. “I am having a really hard time envisioning myRead More


Northern Alberta man killed in highway crash near Redwater

A man in his 40s is dead, and a police investigation is underway intothe highway crash that killed him late Friday night. Officers were called to the head-on collision involving two vehicles on Highway 28 and Range Road 200 just after 11 p.m. Friday, July 27. It’s believed a pickup truck heading west collided with a minivan driving in the opposite direction. The driver of the minivan, a 41 year old male from Caslan, Alberta, was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. Two passengers, a 15-year-old female and 16-year-oldRead More


Dustin Johnson wins RBC Canadian Open at Glen Abbey

Dustin Johnson at Canadian Open

John Chidley-Hill, The Canadian Press Published Sunday, July 29, 2018 7:31PM EDT Last Updated Sunday, July 29, 2018 9:02PM EDT OAKVILLE, Ont. — Dustin Johnson pulled away from the field after a nearly two-hour rain delay to win the RBC Canadian Open for the first time. Johnson shot a 6-under 66 to finish the only Canadian stop on the PGA Tour at 23-under par. The world No. 1 tied for second in the Canadian Open at Glen Abbey Golf Course in 2013 and 2016. Byeong Hun An (69) and WheeRead More


2 taken to hospital following single-vehicle crash in Woolwich

2 taken to hospital following single-vehicle crash in Woolwich

CTV Kitchener Published Friday, July 27, 2018 11:13PM EDT Last Updated Friday, July 27, 2018 11:43PM EDT Two people were taken to hospital with minor injuries following a crash in Woolwich on Friday night. The single-vehicle crash happened just before 10 p.m. on Bridge Street East between Hollinger Crescent and Ebycrest Road. Police said the car left the roadway and hit a hydro pole, landing in the ditch. There is no word yet on what caused the collision or if charges will be laid. The road will remain closed asRead More


Doug Ford to slash Toronto council seats, cancel regional chair elections: report

Doug Ford

TORONTO — A published report suggests that the Ontario government is poised to reduce Toronto city council to just over half its current size. The Toronto Star, citing unnamed sources within the Progressive Conservative government, reports that legislation will be introduced “as early as Monday” to reduce the number of council seats to 25 from 47. The report comes on the eve of a deadline for candidates to register for the municipal election on Oct. 22. Premier Doug Ford has scheduled a news conference for Friday morning, just hours beforeRead More