news websites

 
 

Homicide unit reviews investigation into Calgary man’s overdose death

Darrell Smith - homicide unit review

The Calgary Police Service is reviewing its investigation into the recent death of 47-year-old Darrell Smith as his family continues to question the injuries they found on his body. Smith, who is from the Piikani Nation, was found dead in his Beltline apartment in the 1400 block of 11 Street Southwest on August 12, 2018. An autopsy attributed his death to an overdose. Darrell’s niece Simone Smith was the last member of the family to see Darrell alive. Simone had gone to Calgary with her uncle for some back toRead More


Woman dies in crash on Highway 400

hwy 400 crash

A 42-year-old woman died in a single-vehicle crash on Highway 400 near MacTier early Friday morning. Provincial Police say the crash happened in the southbound lanes of the highway near Lake Joseph Road just before 7 a.m. Two other passengers were airlifted to a Toronto-area hospital with life-altering injuries.  The driver was treated at a local hospital for minor injuries. The southbound lanes of the highway had to be closed for several hours for the police investigation. Police are continuing to investigate what may have led to the crash. SourceRead More


‘We’re keeping the barn’: City reverses decision to take barn from Heritage Festival

heritage fest storage

The Heritage Festival will be allowed to use the barn where it stores its equipment year-round after all. The City of Edmonton and Heritage Festival officials met Friday to discuss the eviction notice issued by city administration, and the decision was reversed.   We’re keeping the barn! Thanks #yeg, @Paulatics @doniveson and more, for huge support. Late Fri afternoon mtg with @CityofEdmonton officials resulted in removal of eviction notice, plus agreement to explore longer-term initiatives such as new off-site storage facility. — Heritage Festival (@EdmHeritageFest) August 13, 2018 Mayor DonRead More


Netflix backs ‘Master of None’ despite misconduct claim

Aziz

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — Netflix is standing by “Master of None” and Aziz Ansari despite a sexual-misconduct allegation against him earlier this year. Cindy Holland, a programming executive for the streaming service, said Sunday there’s been thought given to a third season for the comedy starring and co-created by Ansari. She added that Netflix would “certainly be happy” to make another “Master of None” season with Ansari, but didn’t commit to it or indicate what the production or release timeline might be. The show about a young, single actor inRead More


Navan family fundraising to cover costly cancer treatment in Germany

Hope for Sarah

Four years after receiving her first cancer diagnosis, Navan’s Sarah Haddad is getting set for a journey she hopes will end her breast cancer battle once and for all. “It was just too painful to watch and know there was another thing out there that we could try,” said Sarah’s husband Matt Haddad. Sarah was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in 2014. She was 26. After six months of intense chemo, a lumpectomy, and 29 rounds of chemo, she was declared cancer free. Her cancer came back in 2018,Read More


Frozen berry mixes recalled due to possible salmonella contamination

Europe's best field berry recall

CTV Montreal Published Saturday, July 14, 2018 1:12PM EDT Last Updated Saturday, July 14, 2018 1:13PM EDT Health Canada says a brand of frozen mixed berries is being recalled because of possible salmonella contamination. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says Hain Celestial Canada, ULC is recalling Europe’s Best brand Field Berry Mixes. It says the recall was triggered by a recall in another country, but no illnesses associated with the product have been reported. It says the brand’s 600 gram bags of Field Berry Mix and 2 kilogram bags ofRead More


Owen Sound police seize over $100,000 worth of drugs during raids

Owen Sound police seize over $100,000 worth of drugs during raids

Owen Sound Police have wrapped up a lengthy investigation resulting in the seizure of over $100,000 worth of drugs and $18,000 in cash. Six people have been charged following four different raids during a four-week period. Investigators say they seized drug production and weighing equipment.  They also seized fentanyl, heroin, meth and marijuana. Source link #canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world USA Today News Headlines [su_feed url=”http://rssfeeds.usatoday.com/usatoday-NewsTopStories” limit=”20″] USA News Headlines [su_feed url=”http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_us.rss” limit=”20″] ABC NEWS Headlines [su_feed url=”http://feeds.abcnews.com/abcnews/usheadlines” limit=”20″]


Man facing arson charge a person of interest in homicide case

July 6 house fire

A man charged with arson in connection with a house fire in the Caswell Hill neighbourhood is now a person of interest in a homicide investigation. Saskatoon police recently confirmed the 39-year-old, who was scheduled to appear in court Wednesday on the arson charge, is a person of interest in the death of Crystal Louise McFadyen. McFadyen, who was eight months pregnant, was found dead by firefighters who were responding Friday morning to flames at a home on the 200 block of Avenue F North. Police initially called the deathRead More


‘Journalism is under attack’: Rob Reiner on his new film, Archie Bunker and Roseanne Barr

'Journalism is under attack': Rob Reiner on his new film, Archie Bunker and Roseanne Barr

Filmmaker Rob Reiner is on a crusade to protect journalists and the work that they do, at a time when he says the vocation is under attack. Reiner, who first gained fame for playing the role of Michael Stivic in the 1970s TV show “All in the Family,” has directed a new film about the skeptical journalists who exposed U.S. President George W. Bush’s false claims about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. “Shock and Awe” will hit Canadian theatres in mid-July. It delivers a message for the moment. “RightRead More


Maryland shooting suspect had bitter history with newspaper: police

Maryland shooting suspect had bitter history with newspaper: police

A man who police say opened fire at a Maryland newspaper office Thursday, killing five and injuring two others, had a long, acrimonious history with the newspaper, including a lawsuit and years of harassment of its journalists on Twitter. A law enforcement official said the suspect was identified as Jarrod W. Ramos. The official was not authorized to discuss the ongoing investigation by name and spoke on condition of anonymity. Tom Marquardt, retired publisher and top editor at the paper, told The Capital Gazette on Thursday that he had longRead More