top stories of today

 
 

B.C. baseball team offers funeral giveaway

B.C. baseball team offers funeral giveaway

If you’ve been dying to see a Victoria Harbourcats game, here’s your chance. Source link #canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world USA Today News Headlines [su_feed url=”http://rssfeeds.usatoday.com/usatoday-NewsTopStories” limit=”20″] USA News Headlines [su_feed url=”http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_us.rss” limit=”20″] ABC NEWS Headlines [su_feed url=”http://feeds.abcnews.com/abcnews/usheadlines” limit=”20″]


Friday storm rips through Sask. campgrounds

A Friday night storm, caused damage to some Saskatchewan campgrounds. Picture courtesy of Terri Bjarnason.

A Friday night storm ripped through some Saskatchewan campgrounds on Friday night. Campers at Emma Lake, Murray Point and Morin Lake Regional Park awoke to destruction around their campgrounds. Thunder, heavy rain and intense plough winds made up the storm, with some uprooting trees that landedon trailers with people inside. Terri Bjarnason and her family were inside, when a tree fell on their camper. “It was really scary to see where exactly the tree fell compared to where I had been sitting. It’s right on the window where I hadRead More


Court documents indicate McArthur was at ‘low risk’ to reoffend after 2003 assault trial

Court documents indicate McArthur was at 'low risk' to reoffend after 2003 assault trial

Kayla Goodfield, CTV News Toronto Published Wednesday, June 27, 2018 8:17PM EDT Last Updated Wednesday, June 27, 2018 10:34PM EDT A pre-sentence report and psychological assessment presented during sentencing in a 2003 assault case involving alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur, indicated there was a “low risk” he would reoffend. The assessment noted that he showed “absolutely no signs of psychopathy.” CTV News Toronto is one of several media organizations that acquired these court documents, relating to the sentencing hearing on April 11, 2003. The documents indicate that the Crown advisedRead More


CBC ends ‘On The Money’ program due to budget constraints

CBC logo file

TORONTO — CBC says it’s cancelling its afternoon business program “On The Money” due to budget constraints as it focuses resources on digital platforms. CBC News general manager Jennifer McGuire said in a note to staff Wednesday that investments such as enhancing the digital presence of “The National” and expanded podcasting has created pressure in its operational budgets. She says that along with cancelling “On The Money,” CBC has in recent months found savings through discretionary spending, the closing of an international bureau, changes to workflow and technology, and largelyRead More


Nicole Kidman, Amazon sign TV, movie production deal

Kidman

LOS ANGELES — Amazon Studios says it’s signed a deal with Nicole Kidman and her production company for TV and movie projects. Under the “first-look” deal, Amazon and Kidman’s Blossom Films will develop original series for Amazon Prime Video and big-screen films. In a statement Thursday, Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke called Kidman “a force of nature” as an actress and a producer. Blossom Films, founded by Kidman and Per Saari, produced the Emmy-winning series “Big Little Lies” for HBO. Amazon is striking deals with other prominent Hollywood figures, includingRead More


Writer of glowing Olive Garden review grateful for Anthony Bourdain’s support

Anthony Bourdain

MINNEAPOLIS — A North Dakota newspaper columnist who received online vitriol in 2012 for her glowing review of an Olive Garden in Grand Forks said Saturday she was grateful that Anthony Bourdain came to her defence as others ridiculed her prose about the town’s hottest new Italian restaurant. Marilyn Hagerty catapulted to internet fame after her Olive Garden review, in which she marveled about the chain restaurant’s chicken Alfredo, crisp greens and “two long, warm breadsticks.” Then, she learned what it’s like to go viral. Bourdain, who died Friday inRead More


Renovation work halted after shards of glass fall onto busy sidewalk

falling glass

Renovations on a historical downtown building have been suspended since authorities were alerted to some public safety concerns. On Tuesday, pedestrians dodged shards of glass falling from the two-storey building as a worker hammered away at the window panes above. “I’m really grateful to the pedestrians who called this incident in,” Labour Minister Christina Gray said. She said occupational health and safety officers visited the building on 100 Street north of Jasper Avenue, and ordered the employer to conduct a hazard assessment and prove the site is safe before workRead More


Launch of Paramedic Week in Greater Sudbury

Launch of Paramedic Week in Greater Sudbury

Update on services and programs provided by Paramedic Services, including Community Para-medicine and stroke sign recognition. Alana Everson reports. Source link #canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world USA Today News Headlines [su_feed url=”http://rssfeeds.usatoday.com/usatoday-NewsTopStories” limit=”20″] USA News Headlines [su_feed url=”http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_us.rss” limit=”20″] ABC NEWS Headlines [su_feed url=”http://feeds.abcnews.com/abcnews/usheadlines” limit=”20″]


Air quality alert issued for Waterloo Region

Air quality alert issued for Waterloo Region

CTV Kitchener Published Sunday, May 27, 2018 2:10PM EDT Last Updated Sunday, May 27, 2018 6:51PM EDT High levels of air pollution are expected Sunday in southwestern Ontario according to Environment Canada. Environment Canada has issued an alert for Southern Wellington County, Northern Wellington County, Waterloo Region, and the GTA. Environment Canada is warning individuals may experience symptoms such as increased coughing, throat irritation, headaches or shortness of breath. They say the statement is in effect due to the possibility of deteriorating air quality. Frank Seglenieks, the weather station coordinatorRead More


Rachel Dolezal accused of welfare fraud after race scandal

Rachel Dolezal

The Associated Press Published Friday, May 25, 2018 6:28AM EDT Last Updated Friday, May 25, 2018 6:30AM EDT SPOKANE, Wash. – A former NAACP leader in Washington state whose life unraveled after she was exposed as a white woman pretending to be black has been charged with welfare fraud. Rachel Dolezal, who legally changed her name to Nkechi Diallo in 2016, was charged this week with theft by welfare fraud, perjury and false verification for public assistance, Spokane news station KHQ-TV reported Thursday. She illegally received $8,747 in food assistanceRead More