Toronto FC coach says Seattle had easier playoff run than his team
Neil Davidson, The Canadian Press
Published Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:48PM EST
TORONTO — The psychological warfare in advance of the MLS Cup final has begun with Toronto FC coach Greg Vanney suggesting that Seattle’s road to the championship game wasn’t as tough as his club’s slog through the East.
While he conceded Seattle was the class of the Western Conference, Vanney said the West playoff games he had watched “weren’t nearly as intense or as high-speed or as hotly contested as the Eastern Conference was. And I think that’s how the whole season was, to be honest.”
“It will be interesting, because I really don’t think they’ve faced the type of intensity that we’ve had to face and put into our games . . . And that will be interesting when you haven’t had a super-intense game to come into a game that is ultra-intense,” he added.
Seattle beat Toronto in a penalty shootout in last year’s final at BMO Field after the game finished 0-0 after extra time. The Dec. 9 rematch here marks the first championship game repeat since 2011-12 when the Los Angeles Galaxy beat the Houston Dynamo back-to-back.
The Sounders (3-0-1 in the playoffs) blanked the Vancouver Whitecaps 2-0 and then the Houston Dynamo 5-0 on aggregate in their two-game series. Vanney noted the Dynamo had players sent of in both games (Jalil Anibaba in the 28th minute of Game 1 and Tomas Martinez in the 66th minute of Game 2).
Toronto (2-1-1 in the playoffs) dispatched the New York Red Bulls on the away goals rule with the series tried 2-2 on aggregate before defeating Columbus Crew SC 1-0 on aggregate.
Seattle (14-9-11) finished second in the Western Conference this season, behind Portland on goal difference, and 16 points below Toronto (20-5-9).
The top five teams in the Eastern Conference had more regular-season points than the leader in the West. Seattle was 2-5-4 against Eastern opposition this season, including a 1-0 loss at home to Toronto. TFC was 7-1-3 against the West.
Seattle enters the final having blanked its opposition for the last six games. The Seattle goal has not been breached in 542 minutes, with the last goal given up by the Sounders coming Oct. 1 in a 2-0 defeat in Philadelphia.
“They have a good defending team,” said Vanney. “I’m not going to take that away. Stefan Frei’s had a great season and he’s a very good goalkeeper. They’ve got good defenders. So they deserve that,
“Having said that, I do think teams have been fairly impotent against them in terms of really creating problems and hurting teams. And when you play two games a man up, then obviously the opposition’s not going to create a ton of chances.
“But I also thought just in the nature of the way their games went, their games never opened up and teams never really pushed against them to create some havoc or problems for them. And to their credit, they managed what they had to manage.”
Seattle has also not allowed a goal in six straight playoff games, dating back to the second leg of the 2016 Western Conference final against the Colorado Rapids — and including last year’s MLS Cup final. The 647 consecutive minutes without allowing a goal is the longest in MLS playoff history.
The last post-season goal conceded by Seattle was Kevin Doyle’s strike Nov. 23, 2016. And that goal deflected in off defender Chad Marshall.
Both teams have been on a roll in the business end of the 2017 schedule.
The Sounders have not lost since Oct. 1 (5-0-1) and have been beaten just twice since June 28 (12-2-6).
Toronto, meanwhile, is 12-3-5 since losing at FC Dallas on July 1. Vanney’s team has not given up a goal in 216 minutes in these playoffs, with the last goal coming off a Bradley Wright-Phillips deflection in the Red Bulls’ 1-0 win in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference final.
Toronto won 1-0 on May 6 in Seattle on a Jozy Altidore penalty kick. With eight games in May and the long trip to Seattle sandwiched between midweek games in Toronto and Columbus, Vanney left Sebastian Giovinco, Victor Vazquez, Eriq Zavaleta and Steven Beitashour at home.
Toronto’s starting 11 that day featured just five current starters.
Altidore was not at practice Saturday, continuing with his rehab from a rolled ankle suffered in Wednesday’s win over Columbus.
“We’re confident that he’ll be ready” Vanney said.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- Trump signs resolution killing rule intended to prevent racial bias in auto lending
- 2 school shootings, 2 different gun debates: Unlike Parkland, Santa Fe response is more muted
- French Open is punishing Serena Williams for having a baby
- Disgraced ex-Rep. Blake Farenthold illegally hired to new lobbying job, lawsuit claims
- Sen. Bob Corker turns down offer to become next U.S. ambassador to Australia
- Suspected serial killer wants an apology from police in Michigan
- Former White House press secretary Sean Spicer says daily briefing is 'not worth it'
- Baboon briefly escapes crate, roams loose at San Antonio airport
- Teen gets 'wet lung' after vaping for three weeks, prompting doctors to issue warning
- Apple is teasing a smarter Siri with a new voice to show off at June's WWDC
- A high school senior died on the way to graduation rehearsal. Mayor admits city contributed to problem.
- Cops advise man to break into home; woman inside house responds with a gun
- Brett Favre opens up about drugs: 'I actually went to rehab three times'
- In extraordinary meeting, Trump gets involved in congressional oversight of Russia probe
- Danny and Sandy finally get their movie-ending 'Grease' kiss, 40 years after it was cut
- Amy Schumer, Susan Sarandon give cash to Kentucky clerk Kim Davis' would-be opponent
- Ancient human bones are proof of 'barbarian' war rituals 2,000 years ago in Europe
- Potential NBA lottery pick Lonnie Walker: 'The Earth is definitely an illusion'
- Jimmy Carter pokes fun at Trump in graduation speech at Liberty University
- Royal wedding 2018: See Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's official wedding portraits
USA News Headlines
- Cougar kills mountain biker, injures another in Washington state
- It's just the state's second deadly cougar attack in 100 years
- Lawmakers return to Washington amid calls for gun control
- Billionaire founder of Spanx: My dad encouraged me to fail
- PayPal clinches its biggest take-over yet
- He started out with $10,000. Now he's worth billions
- Girl awarded after she helped elderly man who fell into ditch
- Man, 94, assaulted during dispute in Queens
- Students make prom special for one classmate
- Some students may face charges for senior prank
- Siblings playing outside hurt in drive-by shooting
- Final defendant in Vanderbilt rape case takes deal
- Pipe problem blamed for sinkhole
- Officer performs C-Section on deer, saves fawn
- Graffiti suspect busted via Instagram account
- Man charged in terrorist bomb plot pleaded guilty
- Playing like All-Stars: Miracle League hits another home run
- Group wants to rename airport to honor MLK
- Family of abducted baby pleads to biological mom
- Funeral held for exchange student killed in Texas
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Video shows man accused of 'punching' pregnant deaf woman, service dog being shoved
- The chilling words Santa Fe shooting suspect repeated amid the carnage
- Guns found at 2 schools, threats reported at 3 schools near Santa Fe High School
- Father intentionally crashes into restaurant, killing 2 family members: Police
- Santa Fe students speak out on social media, calling for change and calling out Trump
- Woman accuses federal agent of demanding ID, stopping her for speaking Spanish
- Baltimore-area police officer killed in confrontation with burglary suspects
- Mom's disturbing post on moments daughter hid from gunman who opened fire amid taunts
- 'It's my life and my choice': John McCain said of risky flight after diagnosis
- A closer look at the teachers, students killed in Santa Fe High School massacre
- Santa Fe High School shooter studied previous mass shootings, acted alone: Sources
- Santa Fe shooting victim 'wanted to impact the world,' foreign exchange family says
- Lava reaches ocean in Hawaii, creating toxic cloud over island
- WATCH: Blind, elderly horse rescued after falling into 8-foot well
- WATCH: DNA tests underway to confirm captured cougar attacked bikers
- WATCH: NYPD investigating chef in connection with 2 sexual assault allegations: Sources
- WATCH: Woman says she was stopped, questioned by Border Patrol after speaking Spanish
- WATCH: In Hawaii, 'laze' being created by steady flow of lava entering the ocean
- WATCH: Officer responding to call about suspicious vehicle killed: Police
- WATCH: Urgent manhunt for 2 escaped inmates charged with murder
Motorcyclist in critical condition after crash on Highway 400
A man in his 50s is in critical condition after a motorcycle crash on HighwayRead More
Fire in suite forces evacuation of entire apartment building
An apartment building in west Edmonton had to be evacuated Monday afternoon, after a fireRead More