Trump: U.S. hasn’t been notified about threat to cancel summit
Zeke Miller and Catherine Lucey, The Associated Press
Published Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:57PM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:15PM EDT
WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday the U.S. hasn’t been notified about North Korea’s threat to cancel his planned summit with Kim Jong Un next month.
North Korea threatened earlier in the day to scrap the historic summit between Trump and Kim, saying it has no interest in a “one-sided” affair meant to pressure the North to abandon its nuclear weapons. Trump maintained that he’ll still insist on the country’s denuclearization should the summit go on.
“We haven’t been notified at all” about the threat, Trump said as he welcomed the president of Uzbekistan to the White House.
He added: “We haven’t seen anything. We haven’t heard anything. We will see what happens.”
The warning from North Korea’s first vice foreign minister came after the country abruptly cancelled a high-level meeting with South Korea to protest U.S.-South Korean military exercises that the North has long claimed are an invasion rehearsal.
National Security Adviser John Bolton told Fox News Radio Wednesday that “we are trying to be both optimistic and realistic at the same time.”
Bolton, who was called out by name by the North for saying that the U.S. is seeking to seek an outcome similar to Libya’s unilateral nuclear disarmament, said the personal attack raised question of “whether this really is a sign that that they’re not taking our objective of denuclearization seriously.”
Press secretary Sarah Sanders said earlier Wednesday that preparations for the summit were ongoing despite the cancellation threat and that Trump is “hopeful” the meeting will still take place.
“If it doesn’t we’ll continue the maximum pressure campaign that’s been ongoing,” she told Fox & Friends.
Oregon Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden said he is concerned that talks are “really being oversimplified” by the White House.
“This is not a like condo deal where two people sit down and hash out a number of outstanding issues and then they say ‘Well, some lawyers can write it up,”‘ he said.
AP writers Jill Colvin and Deb Riechmann contributed to this report.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- Texas school shooting: Gunman targeted my daughter because she rejected him, grieving mom says
- Mother of Texas school shooting survivor says gunman killed students as they hid in closet
- This new smartphone feature should be used by every driver, from teen to seasoned commuter
- Harry and Meghan's wedding reception: See her new dress, and that Jaguar
- Did (possibly pregnant) Pippa Middleton steal the show at another royal wedding?
- 'Saturday Night Live' imagines Bishop Michael Curry's response to the royal wedding
- Russia investigations could affect midterm congressional elections, experts say
- Mountain lion kills one man, injures another east of Seattle
- Texas shooting suspect won’t face death penalty, could be paroled
- Tina Fey's 'Saturday Night Live' monologue was crashed with star-studded cameos
- LeBron James carves up Celtics in Game 3 with passes 'only one person' would even try
- Fantasy baseball waiver wire: Nationals surprisingly promote phenom Juan Soto
- Pope Francis to create 14 new cardinals in June
- Tampa Bay Rays' Sergio Romo gets first career start, makes history against Angels
- Scenes from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's royal wedding
- Why rising gas prices won't last, even after Trump ends Iran nuclear deal
- Justify's Preakness win raises more questions heading into Belmont
- Democrats ramp up efforts to turn more red seats blue in the South in the wake of recent successes
- Still friends! Prince Harry's ex-girlfriends Chelsy Davy, Cressida Bonas attend wedding
- Bishop Michael Curry quotes MLK, Jr. at royal wedding
USA News Headlines
- 'All that was going through my head was get out'
- Texas official blames shooting on too many exits and entrances
- These are the victims of the shooting
- Suspect tells investigator he spared people he liked
- Student who was shot in head speaks out
- Opinion: Something was different about this
- Trump really wants the (North Korean) show to go on
- Mueller has a lot of options besides indicting Trump. Here they are
- Air Force apologizes for 'Yanny' or 'Laurel' tweet
- Cuomo presses Giuliani on informants claim
- Trump administration to bar abortions at facilities receiving federal family funds
- Richard Branson considers this one of his biggest mistakes
- 'China's SpaceX' launches first private rocket
- The drones that fly 24/7, no humans needed
- Help me! Raccoon rescued from storm drain
- Teen fighting for the rights of gun owners
- Woman trapped by mud has died
- Teacher finds 6-year-old chewing on bag of cocaine
- Man lives his last days on Mississippi River
- Hardware employees save woman's life
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Santa Fe shooting victim's mother says daughter turned down suspect's advances
- Cougar kills mountain biker, injures fellow rider
- Increasing lava flow prompts new evacuations, first injury since eruption
- Wife of man charged in blast probe died in 'mysterious case'
- Over 2 dozen people rushed to hospital after bad reaction to synthetic weed
- Community mourns the 10 victims killed as authorities probe motive behind massacre
- Stormy weather moves into Midwest as East dries out
- Teacher's aide among 10 victims killed in Texas high school shooting
- The Latest: Wounded student attends school baseball game
- WATCH: Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on Santa Fe High School mass shooting
- WATCH: Parents who lost children in school shootings respond to tragedy in Texas
- WATCH: 1 person killed, 1 injured in mountain lion attack in Washington state
- WATCH: New details emerge on how the Texas school shooting was carried out
- WATCH: Workers left dangling after scaffold collapse in Atlanta
- WATCH: The moments from the Royal wedding
- WATCH: Explosion rocking a chemical plant near Houston
- WATCH: Alleged Santa Fe HS shooter charged with capital murder
- WATCH: New eruption from the summit of Kilauea puts dozens more homes in danger
- WATCH: Students wipe away tears as they return to Santa Fe High School
- WATCH: What we know about the Sante Fe High School alleged shooter
24-year-old suspect in custody after shooting in Brockville apartment
Brockville Police say a 24-year-old man is facing several gun-related charges after a shooting atRead More
U.S. criticizes China’s militarization of disputed waters
BEIJING — The Pentagon criticized what it called China’s “continued militarization” of island outposts inRead More