Two Morley women arrested following gas-and-dash in stolen car and Highway 1A crash
Two women were arrested and charged after an attempted getaway following a gas-and-dash was halted by a t-bone crash just metres away from the station.
Mike Mondor, the owner of Ghost Gas Station and Campground, a convenience store and campground located along Highway 1A approximately 13 kilometres west of Cochrane, says a car pulled into the station Tuesday morning shortly before 10:00. One of the occupants of the car filled the tank but failed to pay. The theft wasn’t noticed at the time but surveillance camera footage verified the driver didn’t pay.
After the tank was filled, the Audi Q7 approached Highway 1A where an oncoming eastbound Ford Fusion crashed into the driver’s side of the Audi.
The driver of the Ford Fusion, a 36-year-old woman from Morley, was transported by ambulance to the Foothills Medical Centre. EMS officials confirm the patient was transported in stable, non-life threatening condition with undisclosed injuries.
According to RCMP, the two occupants of the Audi, both women from Morley, attempted to flee the scene on foot.
One of the suspects was apprehended by Joe Cassidy, a Ghost Station employee, while the second suspect was captured by an RCMP K9 member.
“She went behind the campground and down the hill which leads on to an adjacent property and through a creek,” said Cassidy. “I chased her in an ATV quad type vehicle, went down there and said what I had to say to make her walk back up here until we could detain her.”
“She wouldn’t talk.”
RCMP officials are commending the actions of the witnesses who assisted with the apprehension of the suspects.
“They were paying attention and able to provide the responding officers with details on the whereabouts of the occupants that fled,” said Cst. Kary Moore of the Cochrane RCMP in a released statement.
Tarensa Marie Kootenay, 27, of Morley faces six charges in connection with the incident including:
- Possession of stolen property over $5,000
- Theft under $5,000
- Failing to remain at the scene of a collision
- Failing to comply with an undertaking (two counts)
- Failing to obey a stop sign
Karine Leora Beaver, 26, of Morley was charged with two counts of failing to comply with an undertaking
The accused are scheduled to appear in provincial court later this month.
RCMP have determined the Audi Q7 was stolen from a location in Cochrane.
As of June 1, 2018, provincial legistlation will require customers in Alberta to pay for gas prior to filling their tanks.Mondor sayxs he welcomes the new laws. “It’s unfortunate that that lady was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I hope she’s doing well,” said Mondor.“I’m very concerned about safety. Safety for my customers, safety for my employees.”
“This legislation should have been brought in a long time ago.”
With files from CTV’s Shaun Frenette
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- Texas school shooting: Gunman targeted my daughter because she rejected him, grieving mom says
- Mother of Texas school shooting survivor says gunman killed students as they hid in closet
- This new smartphone feature should be used by every driver, from teen to seasoned commuter
- Harry and Meghan's wedding reception: See her new dress, and that Jaguar
- Did (possibly pregnant) Pippa Middleton steal the show at another royal wedding?
- 'Saturday Night Live' imagines Bishop Michael Curry's response to the royal wedding
- Russia investigations could affect midterm congressional elections, experts say
- Mountain lion kills one man, injures another east of Seattle
- Texas shooting suspect won’t face death penalty, could be paroled
- Tina Fey's 'Saturday Night Live' monologue was crashed with star-studded cameos
- LeBron James carves up Celtics in Game 3 with passes 'only one person' would even try
- Fantasy baseball waiver wire: Nationals surprisingly promote phenom Juan Soto
- Pope Francis to create 14 new cardinals in June
- Tampa Bay Rays' Sergio Romo gets first career start, makes history against Angels
- Scenes from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's royal wedding
- Why rising gas prices won't last, even after Trump ends Iran nuclear deal
- Justify's Preakness win raises more questions heading into Belmont
- Democrats ramp up efforts to turn more red seats blue in the South in the wake of recent successes
- Still friends! Prince Harry's ex-girlfriends Chelsy Davy, Cressida Bonas attend wedding
- Bishop Michael Curry quotes MLK, Jr. at royal wedding
USA News Headlines
- 'All that was going through my head was get out'
- Texas official blames shooting on too many exits and entrances
- These are the victims of the shooting
- Suspect tells investigator he spared people he liked
- Student who was shot in head speaks out
- Opinion: Something was different about this
- Trump really wants the (North Korean) show to go on
- Mueller has a lot of options besides indicting Trump. Here they are
- Air Force apologizes for 'Yanny' or 'Laurel' tweet
- Cuomo presses Giuliani on informants claim
- Trump administration to bar abortions at facilities receiving federal family funds
- Richard Branson considers this one of his biggest mistakes
- 'China's SpaceX' launches first private rocket
- The drones that fly 24/7, no humans needed
- Help me! Raccoon rescued from storm drain
- Teen fighting for the rights of gun owners
- Woman trapped by mud has died
- Teacher finds 6-year-old chewing on bag of cocaine
- Man lives his last days on Mississippi River
- Hardware employees save woman's life
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Santa Fe shooting victim's mother says daughter turned down suspect's advances
- Cougar kills mountain biker, injures fellow rider
- Increasing lava flow prompts new evacuations, first injury since eruption
- Wife of man charged in blast probe died in 'mysterious case'
- Over 2 dozen people rushed to hospital after bad reaction to synthetic weed
- Community mourns the 10 victims killed as authorities probe motive behind massacre
- Stormy weather moves into Midwest as East dries out
- Teacher's aide among 10 victims killed in Texas high school shooting
- The Latest: Wounded student attends school baseball game
- WATCH: Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on Santa Fe High School mass shooting
- WATCH: Parents who lost children in school shootings respond to tragedy in Texas
- WATCH: 1 person killed, 1 injured in mountain lion attack in Washington state
- WATCH: New details emerge on how the Texas school shooting was carried out
- WATCH: Workers left dangling after scaffold collapse in Atlanta
- WATCH: The moments from the Royal wedding
- WATCH: Explosion rocking a chemical plant near Houston
- WATCH: Alleged Santa Fe HS shooter charged with capital murder
- WATCH: New eruption from the summit of Kilauea puts dozens more homes in danger
- WATCH: Students wipe away tears as they return to Santa Fe High School
- WATCH: What we know about the Sante Fe High School alleged shooter
24-year-old suspect in custody after shooting in Brockville apartment
Brockville Police say a 24-year-old man is facing several gun-related charges after a shooting atRead More
U.S. criticizes China’s militarization of disputed waters
BEIJING — The Pentagon criticized what it called China’s “continued militarization” of island outposts inRead More