Vancouver park closed after damage from 4-20 event: board chairman
The Canadian Press
Published Saturday, April 21, 2018 7:02PM EDT
Last Updated Saturday, April 21, 2018 7:49PM EDT
VANCOUVER — The Vancouver Parks Board says it has to close a popular park because of damage caused during an annual cannabis celebration, but pot advocates are disputing the blame.
Parks Board chairman Stuart Mackinnon says staff will need about 10 weeks to repair the damage to Sunset Beach Park, which hosted about 40,000 people at the 4-20 celebration on Friday.
He says although organizers made efforts to reduce damage this year, including laying field-protection panels to shield it from rain, it wasn’t enough.
Mackinnon says staff will have to wait for the field to dry completely before aerating, top-dressing, seeding and fertilizing it — then letting the grass re-grow.
Cannabis activist Jodie Emery characterized the finger-pointing as smear messaging against the marijuana movement, posting photos on Twitter comparing the field before and after the event.
She described the field afterward as “green and grassy,” with the same mud puddles that existed before.
“On April 14, I took photos and video and found many water puddles from the rain and muddy sections. But with our $30,000 of covering and responsible organization and the promise to re-seed if it’s needed, the grass at Sunset Beach today looks better than before,” Emery said in a phone interview with The Canadian Press.
She said organizers have worked hard to address all criticisms from past events, including renting the concert-grade turf covers and carding participants to keep out minors.
Sunset Park Field will be closed for up to 10 weeks after 4/20 event. #VanParkBoard staff continue with clean up this morning. Caution to park users: there is still event debris on field. We will erect fencing and close field for major rehabilitation today. pic.twitter.com/olgdIA8ORm
— Vancouver Park Board (@ParkBoard) April 21, 2018
Don’t believe @ParkBoard hype!
They’re they ones ruining access to Sunset Beach — by blocking it off for ten weeks! Why didn’t they put up fences before, when it was full of rainwater mud puddles, as I proved with earlier photos?
— Jodie Emery (@JodieEmery) April 21, 2018
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- Texas school shooting: Gunman targeted my daughter because she rejected him, grieving mom says
- Mother of Texas school shooting survivor says gunman killed students as they hid in closet
- This new smartphone feature should be used by every driver, from teen to seasoned commuter
- Harry and Meghan's wedding reception: See her new dress, and that Jaguar
- Did (possibly pregnant) Pippa Middleton steal the show at another royal wedding?
- 'Saturday Night Live' imagines Bishop Michael Curry's response to the royal wedding
- Russia investigations could affect midterm congressional elections, experts say
- Mountain lion kills one man, injures another east of Seattle
- Texas shooting suspect won’t face death penalty, could be paroled
- Tina Fey's 'Saturday Night Live' monologue was crashed with star-studded cameos
- LeBron James carves up Celtics in Game 3 with passes 'only one person' would even try
- Fantasy baseball waiver wire: Nationals surprisingly promote phenom Juan Soto
- Pope Francis to create 14 new cardinals in June
- Tampa Bay Rays' Sergio Romo gets first career start, makes history against Angels
- Scenes from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's royal wedding
- Why rising gas prices won't last, even after Trump ends Iran nuclear deal
- Justify's Preakness win raises more questions heading into Belmont
- Democrats ramp up efforts to turn more red seats blue in the South in the wake of recent successes
- Still friends! Prince Harry's ex-girlfriends Chelsy Davy, Cressida Bonas attend wedding
- Bishop Michael Curry quotes MLK, Jr. at royal wedding
USA News Headlines
- 'All that was going through my head was get out'
- Texas official blames shooting on too many exits and entrances
- These are the victims of the shooting
- Suspect tells investigator he spared people he liked
- Student who was shot in head speaks out
- Opinion: Something was different about this
- Trump really wants the (North Korean) show to go on
- Mueller has a lot of options besides indicting Trump. Here they are
- Air Force apologizes for 'Yanny' or 'Laurel' tweet
- Cuomo presses Giuliani on informants claim
- Trump administration to bar abortions at facilities receiving federal family funds
- Richard Branson considers this one of his biggest mistakes
- 'China's SpaceX' launches first private rocket
- The drones that fly 24/7, no humans needed
- Help me! Raccoon rescued from storm drain
- Teen fighting for the rights of gun owners
- Woman trapped by mud has died
- Teacher finds 6-year-old chewing on bag of cocaine
- Man lives his last days on Mississippi River
- Hardware employees save woman's life
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Santa Fe shooting victim's mother says daughter turned down suspect's advances
- Cougar kills mountain biker, injures fellow rider
- Increasing lava flow prompts new evacuations, first injury since eruption
- Wife of man charged in blast probe died in 'mysterious case'
- Over 2 dozen people rushed to hospital after bad reaction to synthetic weed
- Community mourns the 10 victims killed as authorities probe motive behind massacre
- Stormy weather moves into Midwest as East dries out
- Teacher's aide among 10 victims killed in Texas high school shooting
- The Latest: Wounded student attends school baseball game
- WATCH: Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on Santa Fe High School mass shooting
- WATCH: Parents who lost children in school shootings respond to tragedy in Texas
- WATCH: 1 person killed, 1 injured in mountain lion attack in Washington state
- WATCH: New details emerge on how the Texas school shooting was carried out
- WATCH: Workers left dangling after scaffold collapse in Atlanta
- WATCH: The moments from the Royal wedding
- WATCH: Explosion rocking a chemical plant near Houston
- WATCH: Alleged Santa Fe HS shooter charged with capital murder
- WATCH: New eruption from the summit of Kilauea puts dozens more homes in danger
- WATCH: Students wipe away tears as they return to Santa Fe High School
- WATCH: What we know about the Sante Fe High School alleged shooter
24-year-old suspect in custody after shooting in Brockville apartment
Brockville Police say a 24-year-old man is facing several gun-related charges after a shooting atRead More
U.S. criticizes China’s militarization of disputed waters
BEIJING — The Pentagon criticized what it called China’s “continued militarization” of island outposts inRead More