Winnipeggers challenged to reimagine Alexander Docks
Published Sunday, March 11, 2018 6:46PM CST
Last Updated Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:21PM CST
A competition is challenging Winnipeggers to come up with a new design for the Alexander Docks.
The waterfront site has been vacant since the dock was closed due to safety concerns in 2015.
The competition is called ‘On The Docks’.
Two Winnipeg architects launched it to inspire ideas and come up with imaginative solutions for the space.
Unlike other types of public brainstorming sessions, this one requires a little extra creativity.
The architects behind the competition want people to draw their ideas.
“It doesn’t look very awesome,” said six-year-old Felix Driedger commenting on the look of the site Sunday, while at the Alexander Docks working on his submission.
Driedger’s calls his vision for the site ‘Ultimate Underwater Zone’.
It includes tunnels, diving boards and a rollercoaster.
It’s the kind of creativity and participation co-organizers and architects Laurène Bachand and Aaron Pollack want to see from people who submit ideas.
“We hope to see designers submitting but also members from the community,” said Bachand.
“It’s a drawing competition, but we don’t evaluate the quality of the drawing, we evaluate the quality of the idea.”
The Alexander Docks have an important history.
It was a gathering spot during the 1919 Winnipeg general strike, and served as shipping, transportation, and recreation hub.
In 2014, it became a place of public mourning and memorial for 15-year-old Tina Fontaine after her body was found in the water at the site.
Jino Distasio is with the Institute of Urban Studies at University of Winnipeg.
He said he would like to see something simple at the site.
“I think if we can just recreate the dock as a place to come observe reflect, to connect with the water, where people really want to gather again,” said Distasio.
Bachand and Pollock plan to send submissions to the city.
The deadline for the competition is April 24th.
First place takes home a $1,000 prize.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- Santa Fe High's disastrous year: From devastating floods to tragic school shooting
- House conservatives offer resolution for second special counsel to investigate FBI, DOJ
- NFL owners officially approve sale of Panthers, but will team stay in Charlotte?
- Man taped ranting about Spanish speakers, immigrants apologizes: 'I am not a racist'
- Giuseppe Conte could be Italy's next prime minister, but questions swirl about his résumé
- White House says it isn't responsible for commemorative North Korea summit coin
- Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan beam at first post-royal wedding appearance
- Trump 'not satisfied' with China trade deal that has been criticized by both parties
- Pregnant, teenage inmate indicted after escaping police custody at hospital
- Senate negotiators reach deal to revamp sexual harassment policies after wave of scandals
- Former Houston Texans cheerleaders allege harassment, physical assault in federal lawsuit
- Man urinated on seat mid-flight after touching female passenger without consent, FBI says
- ESPN's 'World Fame 100' athlete ranking includes just seven NFL players; MLB is shut out
- Beach bummer? Tropical storm could drench Gulf Coast over Memorial Day weekend
- Woman says she delivered her baby in jail cell after jailers said she was faking labor
- Women with this bra size report to be the happiest
- New eruptions at Hawaii volcano send lava closer to power plant: 'No one has faced this before'
- Publix supermarket in South Carolina censors high school graduate's 'Summa Cum Laude' cake
- Jimmy Fallon, James Corden, Conan O'Brien give royal wedding insights in Best of Late Night
- The best toilet paper of 2018
USA News Headlines
- A huge fountain of lava flows in Hawaii
- Lava is flowing into the ocean
- Kilauea erupts again as Hawaiians struggle with toxic gas and lost income
- See lava from Hawaii volcano reach the ocean
- Stacey Abrams stands out in a record year for women -- she hopes to be the first black female governor
- Lawmakers return to Washington amid calls for gun control
- Hillary Clinton trolls Trump with Russian hat
- Oakland mayor on GOP threats: I'm not going to let 'bullies in Washington' deter me
- Millennials are shaking up these 7 industries
- He started out selling T-shirts from a van. Now he's an investor on 'Shark Tank'
- PayPal's biggest ever takeover
- Officer performs C-section, rescues baby fawn
- Power outage triggers 'zombie alert' in Florida
- Father hears son's heart beat in stranger
- Boxer takes down suspected bank robber
- Georgia governor candidates to be chosen
- Bear destroys car after getting stuck inside
- Parents file lawsuit on son, 30, to move out
- 1,000th Burmese python captured
- 'Summa - - - Laude': Graduation cake censored
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Police give grim details on how they stopped Texas school shooter
- 16-year-old boy accused of fatally hitting police officer with car
- Judge orders man, 30, out of parents' home after monthslong battle: 'I want you out'
- New volcanic eruption in Hawaii spews more lava into the ocean, triggering more fears
- Lawyer caught on video in anti-immigrant rant apologizes: 'I am not racist'
- McDonald's workers allege widespread sexual misconduct
- The warning signs to look for when a potential shooter has no criminal history
- Santa Fe teen says friend saved her life, sacrificed his own by putting her in closet
- How Santa Fe victim's tragic death is bringing her family an unexpected 'blessing'
- Breaking down the debate over violent video games and school shootings
- Father intentionally crashes into restaurant, killing 2 family members: Police
- 'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli owes IRS more than $1.6M
- Guns found at 2 schools, threats reported at 3 schools near Santa Fe High School
- WATCH: Lawyer caught on video in anti-immigrant rant apologizes: 'I am not racist'
- WATCH: DC mayor reveals she's adopted a baby, become a single mom
- WATCH: A woman to lead the New York Stock Exchange for the first time
- WATCH: 'I got attacked by a mountain lion,' survivor of cougar mauling says in 911 call
- WATCH: Judge orders 30-year-old man to vacate parents' home
- WATCH: Officer heard on video telling man he can break into ex-girlfriend's home
- WATCH: Grocery omits Latin word due to its similarity to profanity
N.S. veteran’s battle to have injury acknowledged stalls after doctor retires
CTV Atlantic Published Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:33PM ADT Last Updated Tuesday, May 22, 2018Read More
EPS issue arrest warrants for high-risk offender
The Edmonton Police Service (EPS) has issued arrest warrants for a high-risk offender who breachedRead More