Winnipeggers challenged to reimagine Alexander Docks
Published Sunday, March 11, 2018 6:46PM CST
Last Updated Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:21PM CST
A competition is challenging Winnipeggers to come up with a new design for the Alexander Docks.
The waterfront site has been vacant since the dock was closed due to safety concerns in 2015.
The competition is called ‘On The Docks’.
Two Winnipeg architects launched it to inspire ideas and come up with imaginative solutions for the space.
Unlike other types of public brainstorming sessions, this one requires a little extra creativity.
The architects behind the competition want people to draw their ideas.
“It doesn’t look very awesome,” said six-year-old Felix Driedger commenting on the look of the site Sunday, while at the Alexander Docks working on his submission.
Driedger’s calls his vision for the site ‘Ultimate Underwater Zone’.
It includes tunnels, diving boards and a rollercoaster.
It’s the kind of creativity and participation co-organizers and architects Laurène Bachand and Aaron Pollack want to see from people who submit ideas.
“We hope to see designers submitting but also members from the community,” said Bachand.
“It’s a drawing competition, but we don’t evaluate the quality of the drawing, we evaluate the quality of the idea.”
The Alexander Docks have an important history.
It was a gathering spot during the 1919 Winnipeg general strike, and served as shipping, transportation, and recreation hub.
In 2014, it became a place of public mourning and memorial for 15-year-old Tina Fontaine after her body was found in the water at the site.
Jino Distasio is with the Institute of Urban Studies at University of Winnipeg.
He said he would like to see something simple at the site.
“I think if we can just recreate the dock as a place to come observe reflect, to connect with the water, where people really want to gather again,” said Distasio.
Bachand and Pollock plan to send submissions to the city.
The deadline for the competition is April 24th.
First place takes home a $1,000 prize.
#canadiannews #worldnews #headlinenews and stories from around the world
USA Today News Headlines
- 'We're here and coming to make a change': Students pour into D.C. for March for Our Lives rally
- 'Half my family is gone': Mom mourns Iowa family found dead at Mexico resort
- French police officer who swapped places with hostage during attack dies, official says
- 'Chicago Fire' mourns the death of star DuShon Monique Brown
- Most transgender troops to be banned under new Pentagon policy
- Victim of self-driving Uber accident could be to blame, expert says
- March for Our Lives, Elite Eight, Stormy Daniels on '60 Minutes': 5 things to know this weekend
- Kansas waterpark operators indicted on criminal charges in child's death
- Report: Ex-Kings DeMarcus Cousins, Matt Barnes offer to pay for Stephon Clark funeral
- Weekend project - delete those Facebook apps now
- USS Indianapolis historians resolve mystery of how many men died in 1945 attack
- Guns killed 3 of my Harvard classmates. After the March For Our Lives, let's fix this.
- Pennsylvania school district: Intruders 'will be stoned' by students armed with rocks
- First look: Inside Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas, world's largest cruise ship
- Here's why you'll see evil eye gloves at the March for Our Lives
- NCAA tournament: Duke finds way past Syracuse in tense Sweet 16 matchup of ACC rivals
- 'She sheds' are like a man cave -- but prettier
- Michael Bennett indicted for injuring elderly paraplegic at Super Bowl LI
- Trump blames Obama for legalizing bump stocks in a tweet. Is he right?
- March for Our Lives: Taylor Swift donates 'to show my support for the students'
USA News Headlines
- Sacramento protesters: 'Cells up, don't shoot'
- Cops fatally shoot man in his grandmother's backyard
- Brother: Stephon Clark was turning his life around
- Protesters block NBA arena over fatal Sacramento police shooting
- Analysis: The Trump era has been very good to Iraq War hawks
- McCabe denies 'lack of candor' in op-ed
- Khizr Khan makes personal appeal to Supreme Court on travel ban
- DiGenova role on President's legal team in flux
- Picking Bolton signals a more hawkish turn
- Flying taxi takes to the skies in New Zealand
- She built a $2M company while raising 14 kids
- Facebook has gotten too big for Zuckerberg
- Local fundraiser for NRA causes controversy
- Man tells son to fight another boy, shoves teen
- Mumps vaccine less effective years later
- Lawmakers looking to impeach justices over map
- Man injured, arrested in police-involved shooting
- Students get school on weekends for snow days
- Police arrest mom after video of baby smoking pot
- Tourists revel in Big Apple during snowstorm
ABC NEWS Headlines
- American family who died in Mexico 'went to sleep and never woke up,' cousin says
- Parkland survivor says March for Our Lives will 'start a revolution'
- New England Patriots lend team plane to Parkland students for March for Our Lives
- Water park, ex-employee charged in 10-year-old's 2016 death on ride
- Fight between elite Army soldiers leaves 1 dead
- Sympathy for white Austin bomber stirs debate about race
- Suspect arrested in burglary of Patriots star Rob Gronkowski's house
- Everything you need to know about March for Our Lives
- 16-year-old Maryland school shooting victim dies after being taken off life support
- Heavy snow likely for Northern Plains, Midwest
- School shooting victim 'brain dead,' life support ending
- Students armed with stones in 'last-ditch' plan to ward off school shooters
- Atlanta cyberattack a 'massive inconvenience' to city, mayor says
- WATCH: Former water park executive charged with involuntary manslaughter
- WATCH: Protests in Sacramento continue after an unarmed man is killed by police
- WATCH: Thousands head to Washington for the 'March for Life' protests
- WATCH: Student activist talks gun control and 'March for Our Lives' rally
- WATCH: Couple in so-called 'Gone Girl' case convinced more suspects still out there: Part 6
- WATCH: California city to settle with couple in so-called 'Gone Girl' case: Part 5
- WATCH: Man who kidnapped woman in so-called 'Gone Girl' case finally caught: Part 4
Vehicles rammed in confrontation at Samborski Environmental
RCMP say two bylaw vehicles being rammed by a front end loader led to aRead More
Suspect in attack on man with autism arrested in Windsor
A 21-year-old man wanted on a Canada-wide arrest warrant for allegedly assaulting a man withRead More